返回列表 回復 發帖

Rumsfeld replaced after poll loss

Source:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6130296.stm
5 e3 G2 J8 R4 X3 f" ~4 aTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is ton stand down, after anger over the war in Iraq led to bruising losses for Republicans in mid-term elections.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb! F: E* N. I5 B# H
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。2 H9 E6 T! i' Z  V7 A* E- k
President George W Bush said that he and Mr Rumsfeld had agreed that a "fresh perspective" was needed in Iraq.
$ h. H0 P+ {+ x$ {TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。) ~4 Q5 s+ [2 [6 d# V/ O
Former CIA Director Robert Gates has been nominated to replace Mr Rumsfeld.
. i+ G, I1 ?/ x, x9 L3 F3 C4 B4 S公仔箱論壇
( o! P6 B0 G5 x, {The Democrats won control of the House of Representatives in the polls, and the Senate balance of power hangs on a tight race in just one state, Virginia.
) H: i; \5 k7 U- S% e: ytvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
5 Q+ m6 r' R+ dTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。"It's been quite a time," said Mr Rumsfeld in a short departing speech, delivered alongside President Bush, two hours after the president had announced that he would be replaced.
7 n" [, U* c* }. F1 e公仔箱論壇# N7 y8 k4 N2 x. C3 I
As a key architect of the war in Iraq, Mr Rumsfeld had faced growing calls to quit as violence has continued to spiral, three years after the US-led invasion. , h1 U: m4 l, w% b
/ A1 k0 S* e& C* w1 l
"I have benefited greatly from criticism, and at no time have I suffered a lack thereof, " Mr Rumsfeld said, quoting Winston Churchill.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb# b( L: L( S: S! q3 @

0 \: b5 v: x( r) p5.39.217.76He described the Iraq conflict as a "little understood, unfamiliar war" and said he was confident of ultimate success there.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。3 D) R4 `" J% u+ y0 K

: ^$ O+ e2 n. x' ]2 i8 Z5.39.217.76But BBC News website world affairs correspondent Paul Reynolds says his resignation is a sign and an admission that the US policy in Iraq has not worked, so far.
0 J- T+ J# o: c% k+ f7 `" W公仔箱論壇
1 w* j! w# g, H, YMr Bush described Mr Rumsfeld as a "patriot who served this country with honour and distinction", as well as "a trusted adviser and a friend".TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。) F/ ]* v. U7 L3 w* O  f

- c. e# U0 U; m"America is safer and the world is more secure" as a result of Mr Rumsfeld's leadership, he said.5.39.217.76$ ~5 p  v2 L. q8 ?4 T( S

" C& F7 z4 w: X5 y5 O8 n2 ?公仔箱論壇However, Democrats welcomed Mr Rumsfeld's resignation.5.39.217.76- z% d9 m$ {8 n7 u5 Q. j

7 J- N* {* h2 ^- ^TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。"Secretary Rumsfeld's war plans in Iraq have failed. The country is on a dangerous course, and the administration has finally recognised the need for drastic, immediate change," said Senator John Rockefeller, senior Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
返回列表