返回列表 回復 發帖

Rumsfeld replaced after poll loss

Source:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6130296.stm+ C% J% C$ R  q
US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is ton stand down, after anger over the war in Iraq led to bruising losses for Republicans in mid-term elections.
( J) Y) g& c3 n7 S
7 a3 P' }# O: j$ ~8 j5.39.217.76President George W Bush said that he and Mr Rumsfeld had agreed that a "fresh perspective" was needed in Iraq.
- C* ^  V. e6 k. M7 K; O0 o% }. W2 ]. T% E  H
Former CIA Director Robert Gates has been nominated to replace Mr Rumsfeld.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb. K: }; a7 [( E7 q* U! e2 v/ R

6 P* p: {' [+ Y: T. ~: ETVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。The Democrats won control of the House of Representatives in the polls, and the Senate balance of power hangs on a tight race in just one state, Virginia.
4 ~' y! N+ e2 y3 }$ fTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。
* Q) p) W% R6 R5 Q. Q7 k( G* Y8 j9 w$ ["It's been quite a time," said Mr Rumsfeld in a short departing speech, delivered alongside President Bush, two hours after the president had announced that he would be replaced.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。* j+ x0 K7 u1 J& R8 {( {
3 @, {( d6 A2 X  G- F$ Z
As a key architect of the war in Iraq, Mr Rumsfeld had faced growing calls to quit as violence has continued to spiral, three years after the US-led invasion.
5 J$ Y% p# N( G4 k4 f公仔箱論壇/ q) C" K* ~% c0 e
"I have benefited greatly from criticism, and at no time have I suffered a lack thereof, " Mr Rumsfeld said, quoting Winston Churchill.5.39.217.768 i3 m, c6 M4 _
5.39.217.765 ~! F6 S8 H* I! u5 G( G6 C
He described the Iraq conflict as a "little understood, unfamiliar war" and said he was confident of ultimate success there.5.39.217.76! F2 d5 e2 k) c, z: z
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb* `# F6 }9 g! ~$ |" q! J6 l
But BBC News website world affairs correspondent Paul Reynolds says his resignation is a sign and an admission that the US policy in Iraq has not worked, so far.
" Y4 L& A/ g3 f
: k% N0 b5 K6 \" i- U) ]( g公仔箱論壇Mr Bush described Mr Rumsfeld as a "patriot who served this country with honour and distinction", as well as "a trusted adviser and a friend".
7 g* s( l1 s1 C
* i$ \$ k/ ]4 p- _4 p4 `! Y"America is safer and the world is more secure" as a result of Mr Rumsfeld's leadership, he said.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb, y9 v5 z( ?' m
" g$ z7 c$ Z# V4 H$ Q3 Q
However, Democrats welcomed Mr Rumsfeld's resignation.
1 i5 a8 b3 I: l; {9 f" J7 }( G公仔箱論壇
. Y4 s- O& t! \2 stvb now,tvbnow,bttvb"Secretary Rumsfeld's war plans in Iraq have failed. The country is on a dangerous course, and the administration has finally recognised the need for drastic, immediate change," said Senator John Rockefeller, senior Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
返回列表