返回列表 回復 發帖

Docherty disgusted by Grant sacking

Former Chelsea manager Tommy Docherty has branded the sacking of Avram Grant as "disgraceful".
Grant's four-year contract was terminated after just eight months last night following the club's first trophyless season since 2004.
Docherty, whose first job in management was a six-year stint at Stamford Bridge in the 1960s, insists the Israeli's overall record stood up to scrutiny despite Chelsea finishing runners up in the Champions League, Barclays Premier League and Carling Cup.
"I think it's a terrible decision to make," Docherty said on BBC Radio Five Live.
"The man's done an incredible job at Chelsea football club, following the great (Jose) Mourinho.
"He hardly lost a game. He lost a game the other night on penalty kick which could have gone the other way.
"I think it's disgraceful."
Docherty believes had Blues captain John Terry scored from the spot in Wednesday night's Champions League final shootout - thereby handing Chelsea the trophy - Grant would still be in a job.
He said: "If he (Terry) scored with the penalty kick, they'd be Champions of the world almost. So would he get the sack then?"
Docherty defended Grant's restrained management style, which was in stark contrast to the flamboyant and confrontational approach of his predecessor.
"What's an inspiration? You're only as good as your players," Docherty said.
"Everyone is different and they get results in different ways."
Docherty also believes Grant should take credit for maintaining the standards set by Mourinho.
He said: "Inheriting a squad is one thing. Keeping it up to the standard required is another thing.
"He made one or two bad signings but I don't know whether he made them or the club made them."
Guus Hiddink is the favourite to replace Grant, and Docherty is convinced the Dutch coach has already been lined up by Russian owner Roman Abramovich.
"I think Guus Hiddink is the next manager of Chelsea," he said.
"Because he's in charge of the Russian national team and the moment.
"I think he's just keeping warm for the Chelsea job."
返回列表