返回列表 回復 發帖

Chelsea boss eyes historic quad after Pompey stroll

PORTSMOUTH: Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari is targetting a historic quadruple after marking his first English Cup game with an emphatic victory over FA Cup holders Portsmouth.
Scolari watched two-goal Frank Lampard inspire his side to a stunning 4-0 League Cup third round win at Fratton Park on Wednesday.
The Brazilian, whose side finish ed runners-up in the Premier Lea gue, Champions League and League Cup last season, named a much stronger side than expected and afterwards explained: “We have four competitions this season and I will try to win all four.
“It is the same for the players. It will be very difficult but we have the team for it, we have the players for it.
On the double:Chelsea's Frank Lampard celebrates his goal against Portsmouth with Didier Drogba (right) on Wednesday.Lampard scored twice in the 4-.0 win.- Reuters
“Last year they got to three finals and this is what I want. You could see by our team the League Cup is important to us.”
Midfielder Lampard set Chelsea on course for a place in the last 16 by netting his 20th League Cup goal from the penalty spot nine minutes before half-time.
Michael Ballack was taken down by a late lunge from Portsmouth defender Nadir Belhadj and Lampard sent David James the wrong way to pick out the bottom left corner.
Florent Malouda doubled four- time winners Chelsea’s lead on the stroke of half-time, slotting expertly past James with a well-struck shot on his weaker right foot.
Lampard, who scored in Chel sea’s 4-0 Premier League win over Portsmouth on the opening day of the season, wrapped up the Londoners’ victory from close range four minutes into the second half after James had flapped at Salomon Kalou’s cross.
Ivory Coast international Kalou put the seal on a Man-of-the-Match performance by notching Chelsea’s fourth in the 64th minute.
Kalou was given far too much freedom down the right before cutting in on his left foot and rifling past James at his near post.
Scolari, who completed the loan signing of veteran Brazilian midfielder Mineiro in the build-up to the game, added: “I am pleased with the performance, I thought we played well.
“Portsmouth is a difficult place to come to. Sometimes it is crucial to score the first goal and if they had scored first it would have been difficult.
“I was pleased with the way we controlled the game. The side is looking good and I have been very impressed with the players since I arrived. I know who my key players are. I know who is important for us to play more games than other players.
“You need to build a team around a few players in essential positions for important games and I know who they are.”
Portsmouth have now conceded 10 goals in their last two games after Sunday’s 6-0 thrashing at big- spending Manchester City.
Manager Harry Redknapp refus ed to condemn his players and in stead laid the blame on Germany midfielder Ballack by accusing him of diving to win Chelsea’s spot-kick opener.
Redknapp said: “We gave scandalous goals away. The first one was not a penalty. We have seen the video and Ballack left his leg in there and dived, he was very clever.
“We did not deserve to be two goals down at half time and the next two goals were farcical but Chelsea are different class.
“You need all your best players playing at their best to beat them.”
返回列表