返回列表 回復 發帖
14/11/2007 19:19, Report by Nick Coppack

Reserves: Wigan 0 United 1

A shot of Brandy made all the difference on a cold evening at Wigan's JJB Stadium.

Febian Brandy pounced on a defensive mix-up five minutes after the break to score his sixth of the season and the only goal of the game as United's Reserves beat Wigan Athletic's second-string 1-0.

The Reds' win, while less than scintillating, was thoroughly deserved and saw Brian McClair's side leap to fourth in the league.

United's grasp on the game was never in question and Sam Hewson threatened as early as the first minute with a shot from distance. That effort sailed over the bar and Hewson was again unlucky 10 minutes later when his goalbound effort was deflected by a Wigan defender for a corner.

By that stage, the home side had already been forced into an early substitution. Goalkeeper Russell Saunders was replaced in the third minute after injuring his groin, making way for 16-year-old Neil Postlethwaite.At the other end, there was a change of goalkeeper for United when Ben Amos, making his Reserves debut, limped off on 52 minutes after making a routine save. Substitute stopper Gary Woods was kept relatively quiet, although the Latics did see half chances fall to Salomon Olembe and Rachid Bouaouzan. Both men, however, failed to hit the target.

At the final whistle, Wigan were left to reflect on yet another poor showing in front of goal (indeed, the Latics have failed to find the back of the net at home all season), while United jumped four places up the league table and registered a second successive away victory.

United: Amos (Woods 56), Gray, Eckersley R, Chester, Simpson; Eagles, Lee, Hewson (Cleverley 52), Barnes; Fangzhuo (Welbeck 68), Brandy

14/11/2007 14:55, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex sad at Doherty loss

Sir Alex Ferguson has added his voice to the tributes for John Doherty, the former Busby Babe who sadly passed away this week.

Doherty played 26 times under Sir Matt during the 1950s, scoring seven goals, before his career was cruelly cut short at the age of 23 due to a knee injury. However, he remained a prominent figure at the club through his work with the Association of Former Players. His passing was met with great sadness at Old Trafford, including Sir Alex.

"I was saddened to hear about John's death," he said. "I know he'd struggled for quite a time with illness, but you have to reflect on what a good man he was and his career with Manchester United. He was here during a great period for the club.

"Since I came to the club John has always been part of it. His work with the former players was absolutely outstanding. I think it's down to the work John did that the Old Boys Association was able to maintain such a terrific standard. I've been to many of the dinners and John and David Sadler and Warren Bradley, who also quite recently passed away, were all part of a great team working very successfully and keeping in touch with former players, which is never easy.

"I think we'll all remember John as a good man and for his part in the Busby Babes. Unfortunately, like Wilf McGuinness, a bad injury cut short a really good career. He would have been one of the top players of his time.

"But even after his career had finished, he never lost touch with the club, he remained completely loyal to us. He was a great servant and everyone at the club was very sad to hear this news."

14/11/2007 10:40, Report by Ben Hibbs

Owen out of England friendly

Reds midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been ruled out of England's friendly with Austria in Vienna on Friday. However, he could still play for his country against Croatia next week in the potentially crucial Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley.

The 26-year-old midfielder has only just returned to action from a tendonitis problem in his knee, which required an injection.

Hargreaves played in the 2-0 win over Blackburn at the weekend, but is reported to still be suffering some discomfort.

England coach Steve McClaren has discussed the situation with Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, and it was decided Hargreaves should stay in Manchester for treatment, although it would appear this more a precautionary measure than another flare-up of the problem.

Hargreaves is still seen as a crucial figure for England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia at Wembley on Wednesday, which suggests that the injury is not serious.

"Owen Hargreaves is recovering from a long-term injury," said an FA spokesman. "Having discussed it with Manchester United, it was felt he should remain in Manchester for treatment until the weekend, with the emphasis on his fitness for the Croatia qualifier."
14/11/2007 10:59, Report by Nick Coppack

Pique's pledge

Some of Spain's top clubs came knocking in the summer, but Gerard Pique is glad Sir Alex never opened the door.

Pique, a Spain U21 international and a product of Barcelona's famed youth system, joined United in 2004 but featured only fleetingly until this season. In fact, opportunities were so limited in 2006/07 Sir Alex sent the defender back to Spain for a season-long loan spell at Real Zaragoza.

His performances in La Liga were outstanding and it's hardly surprising Zaragoza were keen to make the move permanent. Earlier this month, it transpired Atletico Madrid had also attempted to prise the 20-year-old from Old Trafford.

Leaving United, however, just doesn't fit into Pique's plans.

"Zaragosa tried to sign me in the summer but I knew what the answer would be," Pique told The Times' The Game podcast.

"Since the first day I arrived at Old Trafford, Sir Alex has showed me he has a lot of confidence in me and I'm trying to do my best to show him I can be part of this team. I can be a Manchester United player.

"He talks to you a lot – not only about football, but about everything in life. Elsewhere, there are other leaders. Rio Ferdinand talks
a lot to you on the pitch and helps you out. Ryan Giggs is quiet but in the dressing room the power and the experience he has really comes out. It's important for players like me to be around someone like Ryan because the confidence he has in himself can pass on to you and it helps your game."

Pique's confidence will have sky-rocketed when he was handed his first Champions League start against Dynamo Kyiv… and then opened the scoring. It was his first goal in a Reds shirt, although he admits he was more than a little surprised to find the net.

"It was a big problem," he joked. "I didn't know how to celebrate the goal!"

In the end, Pique opted for a single fist-pump. Like his approach to defending, it was instinctive yet understated, and something United fans would love to see more of in coming seasons.

13/11/2007 12:19, Report by Nick Coppack

Saha stands by Silvestre

Louis Saha has backed countryman Mikael Silvestre to make a full recovery from the knee injury that's expected to keep the defender sidelined until March.

Silvestre has been out of action since catching his studs in the turf and damaging cruciate knee ligaments at Goodison Park on 15 September. It's the 30-year-old's second serious injury blow this year – a dislocated shoulder in March saw him miss five months' action – but fellow Frenchman Saha says his friend remains positive about his future.

"Mikael has been working very hard," Saha told Manchester United Radio. "He had a bad injury but he's tough enough to recover from that. I'm not worried about him – sure, he's had a tough time, but he's motivated and he'll be back."

Saha knows as well as anyone how frustrating injuries can be, which is why he was so delighted to start his first league match of the season against Blackburn Rovers last Sunday.

"I get fed up always talking about my return," he admitted, "so I'm very happy to be back on the pitch. The team are playing good football, scoring goals and are up for the challenge of maintaining this form for the rest of the season.

"The confidence in the dressing room is high. It's very much like a team of champions. We have plenty of quick legs in the team and we have a young side, although they have lots of experience. We have three world class players in Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney, and it's tremendous to have them in the side.

"They're all younger than me but I can learn so much from them. I'm pretty happy right now and I couldn't ask for more. I like to see the team playing well and scoring goals, so if I can be part of that I'm happy."
14/11/2007 14:18, Report by Ben Hibbs

Trickbox: Giggs on fire

Cristiano Ronaldo may be considered the ace in United's pack when it comes to tricks, but against Blackburn Rovers Ryan Giggs was on top form, showing he possesses the touch to rival any of the new kids on the block.

Ronny got the goals to win the match in the first half, but after the break Giggsy turned on the style and ran the Rovers defence ragged.

"I thought Ryan was absolutely fantastic, particularly in the second half," Sir Alex said afterwards. "You look at him today and see the freshness he shows, I think he can go on for years."

And it would appear Giggs' retirement from international football is aiding his performances for United.

"We have to be careful with Ryan these days," added the Reds boss. "He didn't play last Wednesday and we've now got a two week break before we play Bolton. Retiring from international football's helped him, there's no question of that."

The Welshman, who turns 34 at the end of the month, wasn't the only one giving the Rovers defence twisted blood, Ronaldo and Brazilian midfielder Anderson also feature in our latest edition of Trickbox.
Papers: Doubles and Trebles
15/11/2007 09:27

O'Shea in double bid
John O'Shea reckons Manchester United must win at least two competitions this season to justify Sir Alex Ferguson's boast about the club's current crop of stars being his strongest-ever squad. "I'm sure he meant along the lines of 'potentially the squad has got the ability to be the best'," said O'Shea. "And I'd possibly agree with him but it won't matter what's been said unless we get doubles or trebles. Time will tell for that but, potentially, we've got the chance to do that with the attacking flair we've got at the minute."
James Nursey, Daily Mirror

Rio Ferdinand admits to the Mirror that the pressure of a gruelling Premier League title race leaves him an "emotional wreck". "It's what you play for the whole season - busting a gut, sweating, the ups and downs," he said. "You're an emotional wreck, especially when all the games in the last two or three months are cup finals. To emerge from it to say that you're the best team in the league is such a feeling."

The Sun picks up on United Review's interview with Darren Fletcher for the Dynamo Kyiv programme. Fletch said of team-mate Anderson: "I've been impressed with how quickly he’s settled into a different culture and style of play. He plays with lots of one-touch passing. He’s strong too."
Round up by Ben Hibbs
Papers: New deal for Wes?
14/11/2007 09:17

Wes: Deal me in, United
Wes Brown will sign a new four-year contract at Manchester United in the next month.
The versatile defender is in the last year of his current deal and would be a free agent on New Year’s Day.
But Old Trafford chief executive David Gill has met with the England man and his people twice in the last month to thrash out new terms.
Brown’s wages of around £30,000 a week will rise by £20,000.
Boss Alex Ferguson once described him as “the most technically gifted defender in England”.
And the player is convinced that United is the place to be.
Brown, 28, said: “This side is right up there with the best. The lads are enjoying themselves and we have a good mix.
“We have young lads, senior players and new signings who are really standing out.”
Neil Custis, The Sun

Wayne Rooney may sit GCSE exams in Maths and English next summer, according to The Sun. The tabloid claims the Reds' no.10 has private tutoring at his Cheshire home after morning training sessions with United. Apparently Rooney's also been learning about fine wines and has started taking guitar lessons.

The Mirror
have run quotes from Sir Alex that first appeared on ManUtd.com a week ago. The manager was talking about Arsenal's celebrations after the 2-2 draw at the Emirates and said: "They were celebrating as if they'd won the World Cup, which I found very interesting." The boss went on to claim a psychological victory over the Gunners.
Round up by Nick Coppack
16/11/2007 08:51, Report by Gemma Thompson

Giggs running for no.10

Been there, seen it, done it. But Ryan Giggs' hunger for success remains undimmed. Having signed a new deal until 2009, the Welsh winger is full of ambiton and has his sights set on more trophies and Sir Bobby Charlton's appearance record...

Do you expect Arsenal to be United's main title rivals or will Liverpool and Chelsea stake a genuine claim?

I think all the big four teams are capable of going on good runs. Whoever can put a string of results together and handle suspensions and injuries later in the season will probably end up being champions. It might also come down to which of the big four can take the most points off each other.

Looking back on your trip to the Emirates, how disappointing was it to concede a late equaliser – did it feel like a defeat?
It did really because the three points were within our grasp and we were robbed of them at the death. But you’ve got to get on with things and if you look back at the game there last season when they scored a late winner, we’ve actually left with a better result this time round. They beat us twice last season and we came back well from both of those games. We need to do that again. The way we played gave us a lot of confidence.

Was the reaction of the Arsenal players at the end of the game a sign of the respect they hold for this United team?
Probably. Some of their players thought they’d won the game when the final whistle went. I’m not sure we would have celebrated like that if we’d have drawn at home, but I suppose they were excited to score so late on.

United's squad seems to be coping well with injuries…
Form-wise and position-wise everything is great. And it’s fantastic to have players coming back from injury. Gary [Neville] will be returning soon, Louis [Saha] is fit again and he’s really important for us. Lads like [Gerard] Piqué, Fletch [Darren Fletcher] and Simmo [Danny Simpson] have played an important part as well.

You've signed a one-year contract extension until June 2009 – was that pleasing?
It’s great to know I’ll be playing for another season after this one. I was pleased to get it sorted and it means I can just get on with my football and hopefully play well over the next 18 months or so.

What are your remaining playing ambitions?
Winning the Champions League again is definitely a big aim and it would be nice to win a 10th title. The main thing is just to enjoy my football but I suppose you only really do that when you’re winning trophies. So hopefully we can win some more.

The extension increases the chances of you surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton’s all-time appearance record. How much pleasure would that give you?
It’ll be a great personal honour. To play so many games for the club you’ve supported and pass the total of probably the greatest player this club’s ever had would be brilliant. It’s something I don’t really like talking about until it’s happened, but given that the landmark is getting closer it would be great to do it!

Ryan was speaking to United Review before the Blackburn match.

[ 本帖最後由 wlt1110 於 2007-11-17 12:16 PM 編輯 ]
16/11/2007 09:34, Report by Nick Coppack

Cristiano: Praise is positive

Cristiano Ronaldo has welcomed Sir Alex's comments on the strength of United's squad.

In his United Review programme notes for Blackburn's visit to Old Trafford, the United boss said he believed the current crop of players could be his best yet.

"It's always good to hear praise from our manager, who, over the years, has coached several United teams," Ronaldo said. "If he says that then it's good for us, especially the new players. It's very positive."

Ronaldo's form has been central to United's unbeaten streak in the league, which now stretches back to mid-August. Indeed, the Portugal international has found the net 10 times already this season. And yet, some critics claim he's failed to ignite matches in the way he so often did during the 2006/07 campaign.

That kind of criticism doesn't bother Ronaldo. He insists he's playing well and only wants to continue his good form.

"I have scored some goals and played well," he said. "I always work to be the best, with the aim of improving every year on the weaker parts of my game. I’ve been in good form and now I’ve got to make sure I maintain this consistency."
16/11/2007 09:52, Report by Steve Bartram

Raise your game: Training

Ever tried to emulate your heroes but failed miserably? Fear not, for we’ve got top tips from the coaches who look after United’s stars day in, day out.

Here, first team coach Mike Phelan looks at improving training methods…

What would be your tip to anyone looking to improve their game?
Always have a ball at your feet. You’d be surprised how much your game can develop through having plenty of contact with the ball. It improves your concentration and even your fitness levels, because working with the ball is as much hard work as without it.

What’s the best way to approach training?
The most important parts are being organised, and making things fun and entertaining. The individual players must want to turn up and be part of the whole thing, and they will if they’re improving their game and enjoying themselves.

How much of a session should be devoted to fitness work?
You shouldn’t necessarily concentrate too much on the fitness side of things because it’s impossible to improve that in one session. So just be organised, set them out and get your point across of what you want them to do, and have fun.

When working with a squad, how should numbers be divided up?
If there is more than one player training, then work in pairs or fours, small numbers to maximise contact with the ball. If you’re working on your own, that’s not a problem because you’ll always have the ball at your feet. The most important thing is to train with the ball and master the skills that you can do, keep improving. A key thing to work on is keeping your head up rather than looking at the ball all the time. The ball never moves from your feet when you look up, just try to make sure that you get your head up and look all around you.

What are the best drills to work on?
The main things you have to master are the basic skills. That means passing, control with all parts of your body, heading and volleying. Sidefoot the ball, bend it with the inside and outside of your foot. The key is to practice them regularly, because that’s how you improve.
16/11/2007 12:01, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s get home draw

United's Under-18s will play either Bristol Rovers or Brighton & Hove Albion at home in the FA Youth Cup third round.

Paul McGuinness and his young charges will find out which of the two sides they'll face when Brighton travel to Bristol on Wednesday 21 November.

The date for the third round tie will be confirmed soon after the outcome of the second round tie is known, although all third round ties must be played before 15 December.

United have won the prestigious trophy nine times, more than any other club, and reached the final last year, losing to the eventual winners Liverpool on penalties.

The Reds' newest batch of youngsters have been performing well in the Premier Academy League and are currently on a run of nine wins in the last 11 matches.

To find out more about United's U18s, visit ManUtd.com's Academy section.

FA Youth Cup recordWinners: (9) 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1964, 1992, 1995, 2003.
Runners-up: (4) 1982, 1986, 1993, 2007

FA Youth Cup third round
United v Bristol Rovers or Brighton
Ties played before 15 Dec
Papers: Ronny for England

16/11/2007 09:18

Ronaldo backs England
Cristiano Ronaldo last night claimed he is desperate for England to pull off a Euro 2008 miracle – so he can have a rematch with Manchester United team-mate Wayne Rooney.
Ronaldo admits he would dearly love to face England at next summer's European Championship in Austria and Switzerland.
"I want England to qualify for Euro 2008," he said. "I want England and Portugal to be there because it would be for the good of the game and every fan wants the big teams at major tournaments.
"But most of all, I would want to play England again because it would be sensational after the spectacle at the last World Cup.
"The story with Rooney in the World Cup is forgotten. We are good friends, but I insist that I would never change my attitude.
"I would always do anything for Portugal when I play a game for my country."
John Cross, Daily Mirror

Elsewhere, it's all about England and Steve McClaren, although The Sun have run quotes from an interview Ryan Giggs gave to the United Review matchday programme last Sunday. The Welshman spoke about getting closer to Sir Bobby Charlton's United appearances record. Giggs said: "To play so many games for the club you’ve supported and pass the total of probably the greatest player this club’s ever had would be brilliant."

Round up by Nick Coppack
15/11/2007 07:47, Report by Ben Hibbslai

Wayne's double aim

Wayne Rooney's injury-enforced absence hasn't dulled his hunger for trophies - the United striker wants to add a Champions League winners' medal to a second Premier League title come May.

The 22-year-old injured his ankle in training and won't be back in action until December. It was a bitter blow, halting his run of eight goals in seven matches. But when he does return, he'll be fully focused on fulfilling his ambitions with the Reds.

"Our main goal at the start of every season is to go far in the major competitions and, if we can, win them," he says. "It's the same this year. We want to win the Premier League and the Champions League, they're the main two, but there's also the FA Cup as well.

"Winning the Premier League is the highlight of my career so far. We went top quite early on in the season and we stayed there right to the end. It was a brilliant season for us. The Champions League is a massive tournament for every player, winning it is something I'd like to achieve in my career."

In an -interview with Myspacetv, Rooney also revealed his 5-a-side dream team: "I'd pick Messi, Ronaldinho, Kaka... and I'll throw Rio in because we'd need one defender!"
Burning Ambition"This year we want to win the Premier League and the Champions League, they're the main two."
- Wayne Rooney

Rooney: My 5-a-side team
Messi
Ronaldinho
Kaka
Rooney
Ferdinand

Watch the video in the blogs section on MySpace.com/ManUtd

[ 本帖最後由 wlt1110 於 2007-11-17 12:23 PM 編輯 ]
19/11/2007 09:02, Report by Ben Hibbs

Kaka hails Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo and AC Milan's Kaka will be vying for the Ballon d'Or award next month, but the Brazilian ace believes there should be only one winner.

Ronaldo was exceptional for the Reds last season, helping to inspire United to the league title and a semi final spot in the Champions League. But Kaka, whose Milan team defeated United in the last four and went on to win the tournament, was voted UEFA Footballer of the Year for 2006/07.

With the prestigious Ballon d'Or award to be announced on 2 December by France Football magazine, Kaka has singled Ronaldo out for special praise.

“I would vote for Cristiano Ronaldo as the best in the world,” he told Italian reporters. "Not just for his quality, but also as he has been able to do so well with Portugal. Lionel Messi is also a great player, but he has not won any titles this year."

Sir Alex Ferguson clearly agrees with Kaka's assessment. "The season Ronaldo had last time around was unbelievable stuff," he told Inside United.

The Ballon d'Or award has this year has been extended to the best players in world football, which is why Carlos Tevez was among a handful of non-Europeans to make the 50-player shortlist.

Top of the pile“I would vote for Cristiano Ronaldo as the best in the world."
- Kaka on Ronaldo

United's Ballon d'Or nominees
Cristiano Ronaldo
Carlos Tevez
Ryan Giggs
Wayne Rooney
Paul Scholes
返回列表