返回列表 回復 發帖
09/01/2008 09:18, Report by Steve Bartram

Match Pack: Newcastle

Sir Alex Ferguson will pit his managerial wits against an unexpected foe this weekend, with Nigel Pearson taking temporary charge of Newcastle after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

Form guide: Newcastle are without a win in five matches, with defeats against Wigan, Chelsea and Manchester City flanked by draws with Derby County and Stoke City. United, on the other hand, have five wins in their last six matches including last Saturday's 2-0 FA Cup win at Aston Villa.

Ins and outs: Wayne Rooney should start his first match since Boxing Day after a match-winning cameo at Villa Park, while strike partner Carlos Tevez could return after suffering a bruised ankle against Birmingham. Wes Brown is suspended for United, while Newcastle will be without Peter Ramage through injury. Also missing for the Magpies are Geremi, Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye and possibly Obafemi Martins, at the African Cup of Nations.

Star men: Michael Owen is feeling his way back to match fitness, but the former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker remains a potent goal threat at all times. Newcastle will be apprehensive about facing a fit-again Wayne Rooney, who has scored six goals in as many league appearances against the Magpies.

What are the odds? A£10 bet on Ryan Giggs to score the first goal (7/1) wins £80.

Rivals watch: Arsenal v Birmingham, Chelsea v Tottenham, Middlesbrough v Liverpool.

11/01/2008 00:01

Reds announce record profits

United have announced record turnover and profits for the year ended 30 June 2007, underpinned by the Reds Premier League title success last season.

The financial results confirm United's leading position in world sport based on the team's on-field success, Old Trafford's expansion and increased sponsorship revenue.

The key factors in United's increased financial results are as follows:

- Group turnover increased 27% to £210m (2006 - £165m)

- Gross turnover (including sales from Nike merchandise and MUTV not consolidated in these results) rose 21% to £245m (2006 - £202m)

- EBITDA rose 72% to £79.8m (2006 - £46.3m)

- Profit before tax jumped 93% to £59.6m (2006 - £30.8m)

- Matchday revenue up 30% to £92.6m, (2006 - £71.3m) reflecting successful expansion of Old Trafford, increasing capacity to over 76,000

- Media revenue up 35% to £61.5m (2006 - £45.5m) due to semi-final appearance in the UEFA Champions League, finalists in the FA Cup and winning the Barclays Premier League

- Commercial revenues up 15% to £56.0m (2006 - £48.6m) due to the first year of the world record AIG shirt and accompanying financial services sponsorship deals, increase in the Nike contract and new platinum sponsors, Kumho Tires, Betfred and Hestiun

- Wages to turnover ratio fell to 43.6% (2006 - 51.6%) comfortably within the Club's historic aim to keep the figure around 50%

- The Club continues to be the only one in the Premier League to disclose the total payments in the year to players' agents - a practice it believes to be something all clubs should adopt. In 2006/07, that figure was £2.1m (2006 - £1.8m).

- Independent research indicates that the Club has 333 million followers around the world with 139 million 'core' fans.

David Gill, Chief Executive, said: "This is a remarkable, record set of results. The expansion of Old Trafford, allied with the ability of Sir Alex Ferguson's team to continue to attract full houses at every game, and the increase in media and sponsorship revenues have all combined with team success to produce a substantial financial improvement.

"Group turnover was £210m, positioning the Club as a true leader in world sports, underpinned by a near doubling in pre-tax profits of £59.6m. I am confident that the uplift in the Premier League television deal, together with our new sponsorship sales structure will enable the Club to continue to increase its revenues and profitability to provide support to the team's quest for further on-field success."

11/01/2008 13:20, Report by Gemma Thompson

Trio suffer knocks

Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville are major doubts for United's Barclays Premier League clash with managerless Newcastle United on Saturday, but Louis Saha has an outside chance of making the squad.

Neville strained his hamstring during his comeback for the Reserves in mid-week, while Hargreaves injured his ribs in training.

Saha also picked up a knock in the build-up to Saturday's tea-time clash, but Sir Alex Ferguson says the striker could be involved against the Geordies.

"Louis got a knock in training, but hopefully he'll be okay - we're going to have a look at him later," revealed the boss at his pre-match press conference.

"Gary's hamstring was a bit tight at half-time in the Reserves game the other night. The weather conditions were appalling and the pitch was very heavy so we decided to take him off. Nevertheless, it was a good start for him.

"Owen got a knock in training in the ribs and is doubtful for Saturday. Chris Eagles is definitely out after picking up a thigh injury also in training. The number of training injuries we've had is amazing. But everyone else is fine."

Earlier this week Sir Alex was looking forward to facing his big pal Sam Allardyce, but after just eight months in charge at St. James' Park Allardyce left the club by mutual consent on Wednesday evening.

Sir Alex admits he finds it hard to believe he's discussing yet another managerial casulty this season.

"Eight times this season I've had to talk about a Premier League manager leaving their jobs and every time I say there's a lack of patience from clubs," he explained.

"I think it's a modern day trend - people today have not got the patience and the unfortunate thing for Sam was he was appointed by a different chairman [Freddy Shepherd] to the one that's there now. That was probably the most dangerous part about the situation he found himself in.

"I don't really know what to make of the game itself," he added. "Sometimes when a team loses a manager and appoints a new one it can be difficult [for the opposition] as we found when we played West Ham last season [after Alan Curbishley took over].

"But obviously in Newcastle's case they don't have a new manager yet, Nigel Pearson is taking the team for the day. Hopefully, we can do what we have to do and get the win."

11/01/2008 07:11, Report by Nick Coppack

Gill: Transfers get green light

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson may not be looking to add to the Reds’ squad in the January transfer window but Chief Executive David Gill says money is available should the manager change his mind.

The Reds announced record turnover and profits on Friday for the year ended June 2007, so there is money at Sir Alex's disposal.

“We always look to invest and we demonstrated that last summer,” Gill told Manchester United Radio, referring to the acquisitions of Nani, Anderson, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez.

“We had a great season in 2006/07 but we spent a lot of money to improve the team and that’s something we’re always looking to do.”

United have been linked with a number of strikers and left-sided defenders but Reds boss Sir Alex spent much of December telling the media he was satisfied with the current squad.

It’s a sentiment David Gill was quick to echo.

“The squad’s composition is excellent at the moment in terms of age, experience and ability [so bringing in new players] isn’t high on our list of priorities right now, but if something came along – another young Wayne Rooney, for example – we’d be in there competing for him, certainly.”
11/01/2008 13:51, Report by Steve Bartram

Coton forced to retire

Tony Coton has been forced to retire from his role as Goalkeeping Coach after an operation failed to repair his ongoing knee problems.
The 46-year-old will leave United when his contract expires in June, and Sir Alex Ferguson was quick to pay tribute to a hugely popular member of his staff.
"He's been a fantastic servant for the club, not just as a coach but he's also a fantastic personality," he told his weekly press conference. "He's always looked after all of our keepers. We're all really going to miss him and we're very sad to see him go. It's very sad because he's been a coach here for ten years.
"But obviously being a goalkeeping coach you have to be able to kick the ball and play a part in the routines the keepers go through and unfortunately that's going to be a problem for him.

"We're looking at ways in which we can help him in other ways. He'll be with us until the end of his contract in June and we'll help him with his rehabilitation. Hopefully he'll find some other interests."

Coton himself is hugely disappointed to be leaving, but says he has fond memories which will stay with him forever.

“It’s unfortunate we reached this decision, but after speaking to the surgeon and the medical staff at Manchester United I have been advised to retire from coaching," he explained. "After two operations in four months which have been successful in terms of quality of life away from
coaching, unfortunately, I will be unable to carry on coaching.

"I have had ten fantastic years and the experience and memories are what people dream about and I would like to thank everyone at Manchester United, especially the first team staff that I have been closely associated with over the last ten years. I can't go without saying what a pleasure it has been working for the best manager in the world, Sir Alex Ferguson, and I wish he and the team continued success.”

Sir Alex insists the Reds will wait until the summer before they make a new appointment and says it is unlikely to be current No.1 stopper Edwin van der Sar.

"I've spoken to both Tony and Edwin about who would be a good successor and both of them have made good points. It's not an easy appointment to make, but hopefully we'll get the right man," said the United boss.

"I don't think it will be Edwin. He wants to continue as a player and doesn't know what he wants to do after he's finished playing. That's fine and the right way to think about it because if he starts thinking about all that at the moment it could affect his performances and mental approach to it all.

"Come the summer we need to look at what we're going to do. Edwin has got one more year after that and, of course, his profile would be fantastic [for the job]. But that's something we'll look at in the summer."

11/01/2008 07:30, Report by Ben Hibbs

Saha relishes run in the side

Louis Saha is relishing being involved in United's last five games and says he has been boosted by the faith Sir Alex Ferguson has shown in him.

Saha has started three of the Reds' festive fixtures, scoring twice. In fact, he took part in six of United's seven matches in December and has played both games since the turn of the year.

"It was great to be back in the side and so heavily involved over Christmas," he told United Review. "As a player you want to play every minute and I'm no different. I was very happy to be on the pitch and I enjoyed myself a lot."

For Saha it was a boost to his confidence to be so heavily involved, especially at a time when players are linked with a move either to or from Old Trafford.

"At this time of the year there are always rumours linking players with moves to and from United," he said. "But personally I don’t take any notice of it. The manager’s always shown a lot of faith in me and that’s a really nice feeling and gives me a lot of confidence."

Saha will hope to be involved at Old Trafford on Saturday against Newcastle, a club he spent five months with on loan from Metz in 1999. The 29-year-old says the Reds have plenty to be wary of on Saturday, especially as the Magpies players will look for a positive result after the departure of Sam Allardyce.

"Alan Smith left United at the end of last season and he’ll be a real handful," added Saha. "So many times in the past players return to their former club and score. Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka are also ones to watch. All the strikers at Newcastle have the ability to change a game. We’ll have to be careful, but I think with Rio and Vidic at the back we’ll be okay."

11/01/2008 14:02, Report by Steve Bartram

Gill: Ronny's here for good

Cristiano Ronaldo will not be sold to Real Madrid, United chief executive David Gill has insisted.

Tabloid reports have surfaced in recent weeks linking the reigning La Liga champions with a £50million bid for the Portuguese superstar, but Gill is adamant that no amount of money would convince United to part with the 22-year-old.

"There’s no chance of us selling him," said Gill. "Absolutely no way, whatever the money. He signed a new contract last season to 2012 and we are not a selling club. Alex Ferguson has never let a player go when he was not happy to do so."

Ronaldo has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu in recent seasons, but Gill insists that the winger is already at the right club to showcase his incredible talent.

"Cristiano is happy here," he said. "Alex and Carlos Queiroz know his mind and what he’s about. Everything about him is Manchester United. He’s like George Best, Eric Cantona. You can’t sell players like that and we are not going to sell players like that."
12/01/2008 18:15, Report by Ben Hibbs

Boss applauds "incredible" Ronny

Sir Alex Ferguson described Cristiano Ronaldo’s goalscoring this season as “fantastic” and “incredible” after the Portuguese winger shifted his tally for the campaign up to 22.

That figure puts him one behind last season’s total of 23, and a remarkable ten more goals than he had scored at the same stage last season.

“It’s fantastic, incredible in fact,” Sir Alex said after the game.

“We wondered at the start of last season whether he could match last season’s tally of 23. You had to say ‘why not?’

“I expected him to score more this season because he works so hard. That’s why there were no bets this season, all bets are off with Ronaldo,” he joked.

“[His first hat-trick] was always coming. He’s been close on a number of occasions but today he capped a really fine display with the hat-trick. We’re all delighted for him.”

But this was more than just the Ronaldo show. Carlos Tevez grabbed two goals, while Rio Ferdinand chipped in with another.

Likewise, it wasn’t just about the goals, it was another sterling defensive display, which Sir Alex feels could be the foundation for retaining United’s title crown.

“Our performance last week at Aston Villa in the cup was carved out of a magnificent defensive display,” he said. “It gave us the energy to go and win the game in the last 20 minutes. It was the same against Newcastle.
“You have to have good home form,” he added, alluding to United’s 11 wins from 12 at Old Trafford. “We’ve lost three games away from home, but the reason we’re top of the league is because our home form has been so good.

“It’s a hard league. You saw the results with Arsenal and Liverpool drawing, teams are taking points off one another.

"We expected it to be tough. Teams well below the top four are spending a lot of money on their squads. There is a drive for teams to improve themselves and stay in the Premier League. The points total could be lower this year.”

12/01/2008 18:20, Report by Steve Bartram

Ronny revels in 'special day'

Cristiano Ronaldo was predictably elated to finally score his first United hat-trick in Saturday’s destruction of Newcastle at Old Trafford.
Having struck braces on 13 separate occasions for the Reds, the Portuguese winger finally bagged a match ball with a second half treble against the Magpies, taking United back to the top of the Barclays Premier League in style.
“I’ve said before, if I score two in every game then I’m very happy,” he told Setanta Sports. “But I’ve looked for a few years to score three goals for this massive club and I’m very proud.
“It’s a special day. I’m happy of course to win the game and to go top of the league, I think this is most important. It is also important to score, to help my team and today I’m very proud and happy.”
With United rampant in retaking top spot, Ronaldo is keen for the champions to kick on and stay in top form as the title race unfolds over the coming months.
“It’s important to stay at the top of the table,” he said. “If the team plays like that, in the second half, I’m sure we are the best team. But you need to keep going like that. It’s a good moment for the team and for the players.”
12/01/2008 18:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Report: United 6 Newcastle 0

United produced an utterly imperious performance against a beleaguered Newcastle to move top of the Premier League on Saturday night, Cristiano Ronaldo heading up the 6-0 victory with his first hat-trick for the Reds.

Astonishingly, all of United's goals came in a second-half blitz. Carlos Tevez (2) and Rio Ferdinand also got in on the act in a game the Reds dominated from start to finish. Remarkably, it could have been even more convincing. Clear-cut opportunities ran comfortably into double figures, and so too could the scoreline.

Newcastle arrived in Manchester in the midst of uncertainty. The departure of Sam Allardyce after a five-match run without a win was hardly the best preparation three days before a trip to Old Trafford. And it showed.

United, buoyed by the news of Arsenal’s 1-1 draw with Birmingham earlier in the day, were in mood to take mercy on the visitors. And with a place atop the Premier League up for grabs, the Reds started at a tempo Newcastle struggled to cope with.

Wayne Rooney had two 25-yard shots saved by Shay Given inside the first ten minutes. The first arrived after Michael Carrick’s cutting through-ball, but Rooney’s shot was high over the bar. Given was proving to be the nemesis of the United striker as twice either side of the 15-minute mark the Newcastle goalkeeper denied him. First Rooney cut inside from the left to hit a low, skidding drive that forced Given to turn the ball behind for a corner, then he proved equal to a fizzing Rooney volley from Carrick’s wonderful, arced pass.

After 27 minutes Ronaldo set a course through the heart of Newcastle’s defence. He skipped past two players and took on Steven Taylor, but the Magpies defender left a leg out to bring Ronaldo down – as clear a penalty as you are likely to see. But Rob Styles was unmoved, as he was a minute later when Alan Smith bundled Ryan Giggs over inside the area. The Welshman would have been fortunate to earn a spot-kick, but Ronaldo had every right to feel aggrieved.

Newcastle offered very little threat. But a team’s manager-less state does not necessarily preclude the ability to turn their fortunes around. In fact, it often encourages it. And Michael Owen, always capable of snatching a goal, did have the ball in the back of the net. Edwin van der Sar had already stopped as the linesman’s flag was raised, but television replays showed the decision was incorrect.

United continued to pepper Given’s goal, but to no avail. Ronaldo had one shot saved and watched his downward header from a corner go narrowly wide. The long and the short of the first-half tale was that United should have been ahead, regardless of Styles’ inability to see a clear foul on Ronaldo.

Undeterred, the Reds began the second half with the same dominance and purpose. Inside 30 seconds of the restart Taylor cleared a Tevez shot off the line and somehow turned Rooney’s follow-up over the bar.

But United would not be denied for much longer. Four minutes into the half Ronaldo gave the Reds the lead. Smith clipped the Portuguese winger’s heels as he went to shoot, and Styles awarded a rare decision in United’s favour.
Ronaldo geared up to take the 20-yard shot. Old Trafford anticipated his usual, occasionally hit-and-miss, policy of power. But he elected to strike his shot underneath the wall, to great effect. Given, who saw it late, was fooled more than anyone, unable to keep the ball out.

It took just seven minutes for the Reds to make it 2-0. A poor Given clearance struck Claudio Cacapa, freeing Giggs to square a pass across goal for Tevez to slot home at the far post.

United were utterly dominant. Steeled by a rock-solid defence, steered by Carrick and Anderson’s passing in midfield, and always with the threat of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo on swift counter attacks. Just as importantly, there was no danger of Old Trafford’s atmosphere falling flat. A rapturous Stretford End even cheekily requested: “Fergie, give us a song!”

On the pitch there was still plenty to shout about. The Reds’ forward play was sumptuous, and soon garnered a devastating third goal. Carrick, Rooney and Tevez all interchanged passes, before the Argentinian found Ronaldo’s run into the box. His finish was as sharp as the most clinical poacher, and his 21st goal of the season ensured beyond any doubt that three points and top spot would be United’s.

Simpson, Rooney (again!) and Carrick were denied goals in the final 20 minutes, but there was still more to come. Rio Ferdinand popped up at the far post five minutes from time to make it four, before Ronaldo completed his hat-trick and Tevez grabbed a second in off the bar. Alan Smith was sent off late on to compound Newcastle's woes. But on a day
when both Arsenal and Liverpool dropped points, this was an emphatic message to send out to the rest of the Premier League: the Champions will take some shifting.

Team Line-ups

Manchester United: Van der Sar; O’Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra (Simpson 68); Ronaldo, Carrick, Anderson (Fletcher 73), Giggs (Nani 73); Tevez, Rooney.
Subs not used: Kuszczak, Park.
Booked: Rooney

Newcastle United: Given; Carr, Taylor, Cacapa, Enrique; Milner (Viduka 65), Butt, Smith, N’Zogbia; Duff, Owen (Rozehnal 83).
Subs not used: Harper, Emre, LuaLua.
Booked: Duff
Sent off: Smith

Attendance: 75,965
12/01/2008 16:34, Report by Steve Bartram

Gunners left frustrated

Arsenal unexpectedly dropped two points at the Emirates, drawing 1-1 with Birmingham City to give United the chance to go to the top of the Premier League table.
Manu Adebayor’s first half penalty had the hosts coasting until Garry O’Connor’s equaliser just after half-time. Despite Arsenal’s inevitable onslaught as the game wore on, Alex McLeish’s side held firm to do United a huge favour.
The Gunners’ slip allowed Chelsea to make up two points on their London rivals at the expense of Tottenham. Goals from Juliano Belletti and Shaun Wright-Phillips, allied to a promising debut from Nicolas Anelka, made it a successful day for the Blues.
Liverpool saw their grip on fourth spot loosen after a 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough. The Merseysiders needed a second-half equaliser from Fernando Torres to cancel out George Boateng’s opener for the hosts.
That result means Everton’s 1-0 victory over Manchester City – secured by Joleon Lescott’s goal – takes the Toffeemen level on 39 points with their local rivals.
City are also on the same number of points, as too are Aston Villa after the Villans’ 3-1 win over Reading at Villa Park. Goals from John Carew (2) and Martin Laursen rendered James Harper’s late strike inconsequential.
Elsewhere, West Ham came from behind to beat Fulham 2-1 at Upton Park through goals from Dean Ashton and Anton Ferdinand, while Antoine Sibierski’s late goal gave Wigan a 1-0 win at 10-man Derby.

14/01/2008 09:46, Report by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex: Bosses need time

Harry Redknapp may have ruled himself out of the vacant Newcastle United manager’s job, but speculation continues to surround the position.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is the new bookies' favourite, despite insisting he's happy at Ewood Park, while former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer has the support of the fans.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, secure in his post at Old Trafford, is convinced Newcastle’s top job is one of the toughest around.

“I would say Newcastle are the most difficult club to manage in the game, gobbling up managers and spitting them out again with hardly a pause," he told United Review.

“Their list of sacked bosses reads like a who’s who of football with some of the greatest players taking up the challenge, though not for very long.”

It’s the demand for instant success that seems to rankle Sir Alex most.

“Top-class players like Jack Charlton, Ossie Ardiles, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness have all been and gone.

“Surely one of that distinguished band of legends would have been successful if the directors, supporters and media had shown a little more patience and given the guys in the hot seat time to plan and build.

“Sam Allardyce had the job for only eight months after success at Bolton and being tipped as the next England manager! If they regarded their managers as something more than ships passing in the night they might achieve the stability and consistency that is the basis of success at any club.”

14/01/2008 07:50, Report by Steve Bartram

Rio relishes Reds' miserly streak

Rio Ferdinand insisted clean sheets are as important as goals after United’s 6-0 romp over Newcastle on Saturday.
The towering centre-back scored the Reds’ fourth goal against the Magpies, but he took greater pride from his side’s imperious defending throughout the match as United registered a 13th clean sheet in 22 league games.
“It’s nice to get on the goalscoring sheet, but more important for me was the clean sheet,” he told Setanta Sports. “If we keep clean sheets then we’ve got people like Ronny (Cristiano Ronaldo) upfront who can score us goals.”
The Reds’ canter, allied to Arsenal’s failure to beat Birmingham, saw the champions move back to the top of the Premier League. United’s form augurs well in the ongoing title race, and Ferdinand is keen to keep his focus in-house.
“We’ll have to wait and see, we just concentrate on Manchester United,” he said. “If we keep clean sheets and score the odd goal here and there then we know we’re going to be in with a shout at the end of the season.
“It’s too early to say whether we’re going to stay there or not, we have to get our consistency going and make sure we’re performing like we did today and we’ll be alright.”
14/01/2008 10:52, Report by Nick Coppack

Rooney's been robbed!

Wayne Rooney's frustration at not finding the net in the Reds’ 6-0 win on the weekend was clear, and perhaps more understandable when you consider the United ace learnt just 24 hours prior to kick off that his personal goals tally had been cut by the Premier League.

A memo circulated last Friday from the Dubious Goals Committee revealed the Reds’ opener at the Emirates Stadium in November had been ruled as a William Gallas own goal.

United’s club statistician and official media outlets, including ManUtd.com, had previously credited the strike to the England international.

The decision now means Rooney’s 2007/08 tally stands at nine, while his goal at Villa Park in the recent FA Cup third round clash was his 68th in a United shirt.

Other rulings by the Dubious Goals Committee included allowing Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs’ strikes at Villa Park in October to stand as Reds goals, while the same decision applies to Carlos Tevez’s second against Middlesbrough and Cristiano Ronaldo’s first against Blackburn Rovers.
Papers: Ron can keep firing
14/01/2008 11:07

Fergie tips Ronaldo
Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Cristiano Ronaldo to be the first winger since George Best to end the season as the top flight's leading goalscorer. Ronaldo's hat-trick in Manchester United's 6-0 demolition of Newcastle took his tally for the season to 22 goals in all competitions - just 10 behind Best's haul of 32 from 40 years ago. And United boss Fergie believes Ronaldo has what it takes to eclipse Old Trafford legend Best and set a new scoring record for a wide man. "At the start of the season people were wondering whether he could match last season's total of 23, and you had to say 'well why not?' He's a young lad who's improving all the time. He's always practicing and his decision-making is getting better all the time. There's no reason why he can't carry on scoring at this rate," he said.
David McDonnell, The Daily Mirror
The Sun reports that Ronaldo’s current goal spree is down to the winger’s superstition of having his hair washed on match days at a Manchester hairdressers.
Elsewhere The Daily Mail says that United are insisting Louis Saha will play again this season, despite some reports that he faces a long lay off after damaging knee ligaments in training.
Also in The Daily Mail, Alex McLeish is quoted as saying that his fellow Scot, Sir Alex Ferguson, passed on a good luck message for the Birmingham manager ahead of their 1-1 draw with United’s title rivals, Arsenal.
Round up by Chris McKenna
返回列表