返回列表 回復 發帖

22/01/2008 14:05, Report by Ben Hibbs

No FA action for Sir Alex

The Football Association has ruled that Sir Alex Ferguson will not be charged after rejecting claims the Reds boss made gestures towards Reading fans on Saturday.
It was proposed that Sir Alex was responding to taunts from the home fans at the Madejski Stadium after Cristiano Ronaldo had secured a 2-0 victory deep into injury time. The United manager insisted he was merely celebrating United's goal and subsequent win.

"All I was doing was expressing my relief at winning one of our hardest games of the season," he said after the match.

After studying video evidence and consulting the fourth offical at the game, the FA said on Tuesday that it would not be taking any disciplinary action.

Sir Alex has, of course, only recently returned to the dug-out having served a two-game touchline ban in the games against West Ham and Birmingham City. He was found guilty of using abusive language towards referee Mark Clattenburg during the 1-0 defeat to Bolton.

22/01/2008 17:30, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sunderland snap up Bardsley

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has swooped on his former club again by taking United right-back Phil Bardsley to Wearside on a permanent deal.

The 22-year-old's transfer takes the number of ex-Reds on the permanent playing staff at the Stadium of Light to six.

Paul McShane, Danny Higginbotham, Kieran Richardson, Dwight Yorke and Andrew Cole have all plied their trade at Old Trafford at some point in their careers, while promising young defender Jonny Evans is currently on loan with the Black Cats.

A tough-tackling defender, Bardsley made his debut for the Reds back in December 2003 against West Bromwich Albion in the Carling Cup.

He went on to make 18 appearances in total for the Reds, although his time at United was interspersed with a number of loan spells away from the club.

First there was a stint at Royal Antwerp in 2004, which was followed by his most involved season for United in 2005/06, where he stood in for the injured Gary Neville by making 15 appearances between August and February.

However, the Salford-born defender was unable to hold down any further regular football at OT, and time with Burnley, Rangers, Aston Villa and, until now, Sheffield United followed.

Wes Brown's excellent cover for long-term injury-victim Neville and Danny Simpson's emergence through the ranks meant Bardsley slipped down the pecking order.

He becomes the third player to leave United in the January transfer window, following the departures of Ryan Shawcross and Adam Eckersley to Stoke City and Port Vale respectively.
23/01/2008 14:02, Report by Adam Bostock

Van der Sar set for Spurs

Edwin van der Sar will be hoping he’s done his homework correctly when Tottenham Hotspur come to Old Trafford on Sunday.
United’s hopes of continuing their FA Cup run may rest on van der Sar’s knowledge of opponents like Robbie Keane, who scored his 101st goal for Spurs in their 5-1 Carling Cup thrashing of Arsenal last night (Tuesday).
Van der Sar told ManUtd.com: “You need a lot of information and we watch DVDs to help us prepare.
“You need to learn whether a player is left or right footed... [and] what does he do in a one-on-one situation - stand me up or go around me?”
Edwin broke his nose in a clash with Keane at White Hart Lane last year. The accident was a painful reminder of the hazards facing keepers.
“In England you get bullied at corners a lot,” Edwin said.

"Forwards try to bang into you or stop you from going to get the ball. You have to protect yourself and use your whole body. You also need to learn when to go for the ball and when to stay.”
Van der Sar is staying at United at least until June 2009 - here’s to Ed winning the FA Cup before
he goes, after narrowly missing out last term.

Van der Sar versus SpursEdwin van der Sar has faced Spurs five times in his United career so far, winning four and drawing one with the loss of just two goals.

26 Aug 07 - United 1 Spurs 0
04 Feb 07 - Spurs 0 United 4
09 Sep 06 - United 1 Spurs 0
17 Apr 06 - Spurs 1 United 2
22 Oct 05 - United 1 Spurs 1
23/01/2008 07:58, Report by Gemma Thompson

Sir Alex has faith in Reds

Sir Alex Ferguson believes his squad are better equipped to win the title this season and says the players are improving with every game.

The champions ground out an important 2-0 win at Reading last weekend, making it eight wins out of their last nine league games which ensured they remained top of the pile in the table.

Sir Alex says his players are well aware of the tough challenges that lie ahead, but has the utmost confidence in them to deliver.

"We're into the run-in now. After New Year the games start to drop off very quickly and before you know it you're down to the last few. We're trying to stay focused and not get carried away," the boss told MUTV.

"The players know they're going to have to work hard to win this title. But we've got a good squad and I think we're improving in certain aspects of our play."

Sir Alex was particularly pleased with United's defensive display as a unit at the Madejski Stadium.

"We had to work really hard and defend as a group," he observed. "There's a good understanding of the importance of the defensive part of our game and we're better than we were last season in that sense."
Papers: Madrid admit defeat
23/01/2008 11:02

Real admit Ronny is out of reach
Real Madrid sporting director Predrag Mijatovic admits it is virtually impossible that Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo will be playing for the Spanish giants in the future.
Ronaldo has been repeatedly linked with Real over the last couple of years, but has committed himself to a long-term contract at Old Trafford.
The Portuguese ace agreed a five-year contract extension with United last year, tying him to Old Trafford until 2012.
"Of course it would not be bad for us to have a player like Cristiano Ronaldo, but he is at a great club like Manchester United. I see it as an impossible signing," Mijatovic told Radio Marca.
Manchester Evening News

Elsewhere, a number of sports writers have written opinion pieces about Manchester City’s supporters’ request to hold a minute’s applause instead of the planned silence to remember those who died in the Munich air disaster. The Mirror’s Oliver Holt believes most City fans will respect the gesture, but admits: “There is still a sizeable minority who will relish disrupting the silence purely because they know how important it is to United supporters that it be properly observed.”
Phil Bardsley’s transfer to Sunderland is also covered extensively, as is the FA’s decision not to examine Sir Alex’s reaction to Wayne Rooney’s goal at the Madejski Stadium.

Round up by Nick Coppack
23/01/2008 07:25, Report by James Tuck

Gill comfortable with tribute

David Gill has defended the decision to include AIG’s logo on the East Stand tribute to the Munich air disaster.
The image depicts the Busby Babes' final line-up in Belgrade before the tragedy and the lyrics to the Manchester United Calypso – as well as the name of the Reds' main sponsors.
This has angered some fans, but Gill pointed out that the tribute was AIG’s own idea and insisted it was a fitting way for them to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the disaster.
United’s chief executive told MUTV: “It is important to remember that in coming up with the appropriate remembrance on both 6 and 10 February, we spoke to many people.
“We spoke to our partners, the Busby family, Sir Bobby Charlton and other people and we felt this was an appropriate recognition by AIG of the tragedy in 1958.
“We’re very comfortable with it. They are a main partner of ours, we work very closely with them and we think it’s a fantastic memorial for the players.”
A statement issued by the club at the weekend echoed Gill’s comments: “It is entirely appropriate that a partner as closely involved with the club as AIG would want to remember that extraordinary team, cut down in its prime.
"Key figures were consulted before the project was agreed and all were supportive of what is a stunning and poignant tribute."
The tribute, which covers the entire glass fronting of the East Stand, had already caused a stir because of the omission of the word ‘Busby’ in the lyrics to the Calypso, an error which is now being rectified.
Gill added: “The lyrics of the song, which were unfortunately incorrect, will be corrected and the reference to Sir Matt will be included.”
Video: See David Gill talking about the East Stand tribute on MUTV Online.

23/01/2008 22:48, Report by Steve Bartram

Manucho makes his mark

Prospective United striker Manucho scored a superb goal in his first African Cup of Nations appearance as Angola drew with South Africa on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old, who will join United if his work permit application is successful, gave his side the lead in exceptional style, powering home a brilliant diving header after 30 minutes.

Just as the Angolans seemed set to make a winning start to the tournament, however, South Africa equalised with three minutes remaining through Elrio van Heerden.

The result, allied to Tunisia's draw with Senegal, leaves all four teams in Group D level on a solitary point from the opening round of games.

Angola face Senegal on Sunday and Tunisia next Thursday, with both games kicking off at 1700 GMT.
23/01/2008 21:42, Report by Steve Bartram

Reserves: Bolton 0 United 2

Midfielder Tom Cleverley struck two goals in the dying seconds to help United overcome Reserve League champions Bolton on Wednesday evening.

The Reds' victory takes them within a point of the top of the table, and extends their unbeaten run to nine games since October's defeat at Blackburn.

The match started in drab fashion - a state which remained unchanged for much of the evening - thanks in no small part to the teeming rain and blustering wind at the largely unprotected County Ground.

The first half was a story of few chances but plenty of endeavour from both sides, with each garnering two bookings. Sean Evans and Corry Evans both gathered questionable cautions for the Reds, while skipper Sam Hewson came closest to opening the scoring with a scorching 25 yard drive which clipped the top of the crossbar.

Hewson was involved at the other end immediately after half-time, hurling himself at Robert Sissons' close-range shot to heroically block an almost certain goal.

Both sides had their first clear chances a minute either side of the hour mark. First Michael Burns drilled a shot wide of Ron-Robert Zieler's near post for Bolton, before Chris Fagan could only steer the ball wide from 10 yards after fine wingplay from Richard Eckersley.

The rain continued to lash down as both sides searched for the all-important first goal. It seemed United's efforts would be in vain, having laboured for almost 89 minutes without finding a breakthrough, until Cleverley struck twice in 65
seconds to snatch the three points.

Firstly, the midfielder smashed home from close range after Eckersley's cross had been only half-cleared by Trotters midfielder Steve Basham.

Then, just over a minute later, goalkeeper Bogdan left his area but fluffed his attempted clearance to the byline. As the ball spun loose some 30 yards from goal, however, Cleverley drilled a superb shot over the stranded goalkeeper and into the untended net.

The result takes United fourth in the table, a point behind leaders Sunderland, and well in the hunt for a third league title in four seasons.

United: Zieler; Eckersley, Lea, Cathcart, Chester; Cleverley, Hewson, C Evans, Bryan; Fagan (Drinkwater 76), S Evans.
Subs not used: Amos, McCormack, James, Norwood.

24/01/2008 08:54, Report by Steve Bartram

Anderson handed Brazil boost

Reds midfielder Anderson has been called up to Brazil’s squad for February’s international friendly against the Republic of Ireland.
The 19-year-old has been in superb form in his first season with Sir Alex Ferguson’s side, and has played his way into the plans of Brazil manager Dunga.
The 22-man squad to play in Dublin is comprised largely of young talents, with Dunga keen to give youth a chance ahead of this summer’s Olympic Games.
"I named players of Olympic age before," he said. "It's important for them to gain experience in the national team environment.
"The upcoming games will be useful to keep watching the men who can play in Beijing."
Anderson has not featured for Brazil since a brief cameo at last summer’s triumphant Copa America campaign.
24/01/2008 07:21, Report by James Tuck

Welbeck potential excites ex-Red

Former United defender Arthur Albiston has tipped Danny Welbeck to become a first-team regular after his impressive 25-minute appearance in Saudi Arabia.
Despite missing a penalty, the Mancunian’s assured display raised hopes he can become the first homegrown striker to make the grade at senior level since Mark Hughes.
MUTV pundit Albiston has seen Welbeck making waves in the Reserves and Academy this season, and he is convinced the 17-year-old will soon feature in Sir Alex Ferguson’s plans.
Albiston said: "Danny has the ability to drag the ball past defenders. He has a languid style and you might think, at first look, that he is not quick. But, believe me, he is.
"Often tall players don't look comfortable on the ball and their control doesn't appear great. But Danny is a really smooth mover, is confident on the ball and has great control.
"He can beat defenders using either foot and has a very nice unflustered temperament. He gets knocked about a lot but he just gets up and gets on with it.
"United have the likes of Rooney and Tevez who are low centre of gravity, powerful players. If Danny progresses as he should, he could offer another option."

Arthur Albiston was quoted in the Manchester Evening News
Papers: Boss backs Rafa
24/01/2008 09:05

Fergie Blast For Yanks
Alex Ferguson says Liverpool’s American owners lack class for undermining Kop boss Rafa Benitez. Manchester United chief Fergie said: “At big clubs it is paramount that the board shows its class. Big clubs should be seen to be big clubs.” Yanks Tom Hicks and George Gillett approached Jurgen Klinsmann about taking Benitez’s job. And Ferguson added: “That was a bad piece of business on Liverpool’s part, no doubt about that. That sort of thing can be very upsetting for a manager. In a moment like that, Rafa must feel very alone.”
Neil Custis, The Sun
Meanwhile, Sir Alex opines that United's form and title credentials this season are not down to the Reds' scintillating attack, more an improvement in his side's defending.

Ahead of Tottenham's FA Cup trip to Old Trafford on Sunday, striker Dimitar Berbatov insists his side are confident of facing any opposition after hammering Arsenal in the Carling Cup earlier this week.
Round up by Steve Bartram
25/01/2008 10:32, Report by Gemma Thompson

Owen: Onus is on us

Owen Hargreaves says United must make home advantage count in Sunday's FA Cup fourth tie against Tottenham at Old Trafford.

Having faced Premier League opposition in every round of the competition last season, including the final, the Reds are once again up against a top flight opponent having already successfully by-passed Aston Villa in the third round.

Hargreaves, who is set to feature on Sunday, would love the opportunity to help United book their place at Wembley in this season's tournament, but says the players must first focus on getting past a Spurs side buoyed by their Carling Cup semi-final win in mid-week.

"To play at Wembley against one of the top teams would be brilliant. But we will take step by step, focus on Tottenham and take it from there," he told MUTV.

"They have some fabulous players and I think it is just a case of them trying to find the right balance.

"I look forward to every game and the atmosphere against Tottenham will be exceptional. As it is a home game for us, it becomes a must-win situation."
25/01/2008 10:09, Report by Steve Bartram

Sir Alex backs Giggs' chase

Sir Alex Ferguson is hopeful of having quadruple cause to celebrate come May - success in three competitions and a new club appearances record for Ryan Giggs.
The veteran Welsh winger is just 18 appearances short of overtaking Sir Bobby Charlton, with 742 to Sir Bobby's 759. Barring injury, it appears to be a case of when, rather than if, he surpasses the longstanding record.
With United still going strong in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, Sir Alex is hopeful that his side can make enough progress to facilitate Giggs' chase.
"Well, we have 15 Premiership games left so a lot depends on the cups," Sir Alex told the media during United's trip to Saudi Arabia.
"Ryan does play a few games as a substitute so, with the FA Cup and Champions League, we could just about get there this season. Let's hope it's in the Champions League Final in Moscow!"

25/01/2008 09:55, Report by Adam Bostock

Park relishing Cup experience

Korean winger Ji-sung Park is hoping this weekend brings him another chance to play in one of the world's most famous football competitions.

United's number 13 turned in a fine display in the FA Cup win at Aston Villa, and he could be asked to do the same against Tottenham on Sunday.

"I've enjoyed playing in the FA Cup since I came to England," Ji told United Review.

"I know the FA Cup is bigger than cups in other countries and I want to win it because in my career I have already won cups in Japan and Holland."

Park's FA Cup outing at Villa Park was only his second start this season. His first, after nine months injured, was in the home league win over Birmingham on New Year's Day.

"My first start at Old Trafford after the injury was great," he reflected.

"I felt fantastic, especially to see that the fans still remember me!"

Fans at Old Trafford can read an interview with Ji-sung Park in Sunday's United Review. The Reds' official match programme is also available via subscription.

Korean interviews with Ji-sung Park can be found on www.ManUtd.kr.

25/01/2008 09:50, Report by Steve Bartram

Boss banks on Scholesy

Sir Alex Ferguson feels the return of Paul Scholes will reinforce United's hopes of winning silverware this season.
The veteran midfielder has been out of action since October with a knee injury, but could make his long awaited comeback against Tottenham this weekend.
With United still in the hunt for three major trophies, Scholes' experience is a huge boost for Sir Alex's ambitions.
"I am more confident now that Scholes is coming back because he brings a bit of class at important times in games," he told the press during United's trip to Saudi Arabia.
"That's what he is probably best at - producing moments that turn games - so it's a big bonus for us having him back."
Even at 33, Scholes remains an integral part of the manager's plans - as does Ryan Giggs, 34, and Sir Alex admits he cannot foresee an end to their importance.
"What I've come to realise with Paul and Ryan is that I can no longer see an end to their careers," he said. "In fact, I don't expect to see an end.
"There must come a day when it will end, but the way it's looking now, I can't see that end coming. In fact, I think I'll be away from the club before them!
"Bearing in mind their longevity, they must be the best two players I've ever had. Giggs was here from 13 and Scholes was the same, so they have both been here almost as long as I have.
"Scholes is 33 now, but I still think we will get three more years out of him because he looks after himself well and comes back from injuries very well.
"His big asset down the years has been appearing in the box late and the number of goals he has scored for us [138 in total] from midfield is quite unique.
"Even then, however, his big asset is his passing, his composure and his thinking during a game. At 33, I regard him just as highly as I did when he was 23.
"Players like him and Giggs, who look after themselves, give themselves extra years. Look at Giggs, he's flying this season. He came on at Reading last Saturday and the stats show that he made 45 sprints in the second half. That's incredible for a player of his age."
返回列表