返回列表 回復 發帖

17/01/2008 09:41, Report by Ben Hibbs

Swansea order Brandy

Swansea are set to complete the loan signing of United’s 18-year-old Reserves striker Febian Brandy.
The Swans announced on their website that the Manchester-born forward will join up with his new team-mates today (Thursday) and will remain on loan at the Liberty Stadium until the end of the season.
Brandy, a small, quick and skilful striker, joined the Reds at the age of nine and has been at the club ever since, progressing through the Under-18s and into the Reserves.

ManUtd.com will confirm the deal if and when it goes through.

16/01/2008 21:06, Report by Ben Hibbs

McGuinness: Cup exit disappointing

Paul McGuinness was disappointed that United's Under-18s couldn't make their possession count as the Reds crashed of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday.

The Reds went two goals down to Carlisle before pulling one back before half time. But they couldn't turn their dominant possession into the crucial equalising goal in the second half.

"You have to give credit to opposition, they deserved to go through," the U18s boss told MUTV. "We didn't take advantage of our possession. And to have the chances we had and not to take them wasn't good enough.

"We made basic mistakes in the build-up to Carlisle's goals. We played some good football after that, but we didn't carry that into the second half. We didn't test the goalkeeper enough.

"We had loads of possession and even played some good passing football, but we were too narrow. We didn't use the width well enough and didn't get enough crosses in."

McGuinness says his young players have passed up a big chance to impress on youth football's biggest stage.

"The defeat puts us back two steps," he added. "We've missed an opportunity to do well in this competition. The players now have to lift themselves. It's a big defeat and at this club sometimes that's a burden you have to carry."
16/01/2008 19:52, Report by Ben Hibbs

Youth Cup: United 1 Carlisle 2

United were unfortunate to be knocked out of the FA Youth Cup at the round stage after dominating possession against Carlisle at the Victoria Ground on Wednesday.

An early penalty for the visitors and a brilliant second strike put the Cumbrians 2-0 ahead after half an hour, and it proved too big a task to overcome.

Danny Welbeck pulled a goal back just before the interval, but despite a second-half spent almost permanently in Carlisle’s half the Reds couldn’t make the pressure count.

The Reds were behind after 12 minutes when United goalkeeper Ben Amos brought down Carlisle striker Gary Madine inside the area. The Blues striker dusted himself down and neatly converted his spot-kick.

Having gone behind in the previous round against Brighton, this wasn’t uncharted territory for the young Reds. And McGuinness’ young charges picked away at the Carlisle defence.

After a twisting run on the edge of the box, striker Federico Macheda forced a smart save with a thumping shot just before the half hour mark. Minutes later Reds skipper Corry Evans hit the post with a left-footed strike.

The Reds dominated possession and their passing was crisp and controlled. However Carlisle struck again against the run of play when Steve Hindmarch hit a stunning, swerving volley from 25 yards that Amos had no chance of stopping.

The Reds kids kept plugging away and eventually Welbeck produced some magic of his own to pull a goal back. Twisting and turning
inside the area, he escaped his marker before rifling a low left-footed shot inside the near post. It arrived three minutes before half-time, the perfect set up for the second half.

United continued to dominate after the break, constantly pressing Carlisle, who quickly began to tire and subsequently retreat. With 25 minutes of the half remaining the visitors were desperate, all players bar one striker behind the ball and defenders hoofing it clear.

All it needed was the goal United’s possession deserved. Macheda had a powerful drive saved from the edge of the area on 75 minutes, and seconds later Danny Galbraith tested the keeper with a curling free-kick.

The Reds did have the ball in the back of the net after a wonderful free-flowing attacking move, but Galbraith was denied an equaliser after slightly mistiming his run to be caught offside.

The difficulty was finding a way through. Not even some tight, intricate passing of the highest order could pick a route through Carlisle’s crowded penalty area. Although the Reds never really made enough use of attacking down the flanks.

Credit to Carlisle, who defended their lead valiantly. The Reds can feel proud of some of the football played, but the overriding feeling will be of a chance missed. This young team was capable of going a long way in youth's football's most prestigious competition.

United: Amos; Moffatt, James, Gill, Stewart (Galbraith); Eikrem (Norwood), C.Evans, Drinkwater, Bryan; Welbeck, Macheda.

16/01/2008 11:48, Report by Steve Bartram

Ramos plays down chances

Juande Ramos has played down Tottenham's hopes of negotiating a route past United when his side travel to Old Trafford in the FA Cup.
Having ousted Reading in Tuesday night's third round replay, Spurs will now visit Old Trafford on January 27, and Ramos is already tiping United as favourites to progress.
"I don’t think Sir Alex Ferguson will be worried about me, his team is too good,” Ramos told the Daily Mirror. "And in their own stadium they must be clear favourites to win."
With Tottenham still going strong in three cup competitions and climbing the Premier League table after a dreadful start to the season, Ramos is concerned that his squad may begin to suffer fatigue.
"We’re delighted we are still in three cups but there is little time for players to recover between games," he said.
"My biggest concern is that our league form could suffer. Already we have injuries and suspensions and players who are tired."

16/01/2008 08:27, Report by Nick Coppack

Kuszczak aiming for the top

Tomasz Kuszczak says he’s pleased with how he fared over the festive break when he stepped in for first-choice stopper Edwin van der Sar.

Van der Sar returned from injury in the Reds’ recent FA Cup win at Villa Park but Kuszczak remains braced for a recall.

“It’s a difficult position I’m in because I know Edwin is number one,” the Polish goalkeeper told Manchester United Radio.

“But every day I’m ready for training and I approach every game ready to play. It’s important to me to play as many games as I can.

“It was a good exam for me over Christmas and I think I did quite okay. I certainly did my best and I tried to help the team win our games.”

Although Kuszczak is acutely aware of his understudy status, he insists being at Old Trafford is beneficial to his career.

“Every single game I play for United is a step forward,” he said. “I feel more comfortable and confident each time I play and that’s what a goalkeeper needs. The Champions League experience has been very good too, so I think I’m on the way up.”

Van der Sar may be Sir Alex’s current first choice but Kuszczak says he hopes to one day dislodge the Dutchman from the number one spot.

“I’ll do everything I can to push Edwin for the jersey and I think that helps both of us. We have a good relationship and there’s healthy competition on the training field.”
Papers: Twins on the way?
17/01/2008 10:13

Brazilian twins set for switch to United
Manchester United are preparing to announce the signing of Fabio and Rafael Silva, Brazil’s answer to the Neville brothers. The 17-year-old twins, who are identical, are scheduled to arrive in Manchester on Monday to join United in a joint £5.2 million transfer from Fluminense, a deal that has been two and a half years in the planning. Like Gary and Phil Neville, the Silva brothers are full backs, with Rafael operating on the right flank and Fabio on the left, even though both are right-footed. They caught Sir Alex Ferguson’s eye in a youth tournament in Hong Kong in 2005, during United’s preseason tour to Asia, and signed precontract agreements with the Barclays Premier League club when they turned 16 in July 2006. Initially the plan was for them to move to Manchester this summer, but the deal has been brought forward now that they have received the necessary paperwork. The twins excelled for Brazil in the Under-17 World Cup finals in South Korea last August, with Fabio, the captain, finishing as his country’s leading scorer.
Oliver Kay, The Times.

The Sun and The Telegraph say that Real Madrid will not give up their interest in Cristiano Ronaldo as they plan to shatter the world transfer record to bring the winger to Spain this summer.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror reports that some United fans are "furious" with the proposed move to search fans for drugs at this weekend's clash with Reading at the Madjeski Stadium.
Round up by Chris McKenna
18/01/2008 10:39, Report by Gemma Thompson & Ben Hibbs

Scholes nearing comeback

United have been given a welcome boost with the news that Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Louis Saha are all close to full fitness.

Owen Hargreaves has also recovered from a knock and is available for the Barclays Premier League trip to Reading on Saturday.

Scholes has been out of action since October after injuring knee ligaments before United's Champions League clash with Dynamo Kyiv. He returned to training over Christmas and will be checked out by United's medical team next Thursday.

If given the go-ahead, he will start full training and could be available for the FA Cup fourth round clash against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday week.

“We are waiting for clearance from the medical staff next Thursday," assistant manager Carlos Queiroz said on Friday.

“We think the medical staff will give Scholes clearance to start full training. If he does get the all-clear he can play immediately. It’s a possibility [he could be involved against Tottenham], or at least he will probably be on the bench.”

The influential midfielder has been training for a number of weeks now and is said to be in excellent shape. “His fitness is fantastic," added Carlos. "He’s training like an 18-year-old. He’s very excited, he can sense that he’ll be back soon."

Neville, meanwhile, could fly out with the squad to Saudi Arabia on Saturday evening for their four-day training camp.

The Reds' defender made his second comeback in the Reserves last week after ten months on the sidelines with ankle ligament trouble. He felt his hamstring in the match against Everton and was forced off at half time.

But Sir Alex Ferguson and his coaching staff will make a decision about the skipper after training on Friday. If he's left behind, he will play for the Reserves against Bolton next Wednesday.

Saha is also ahead of schedule in his race to overcome a knee complaint. The striker missed United's 6-0 demolition of Newcastle last weekend with the knock and the club confirmed he would be out for around three weeks.

But Queiroz says is a step ahead in his rehabilitation and is likely to be back "earlier than expected".

18/01/2008 12:25, Report by Ben Hibbs

Carlos: Reading never rest

Assistant manager Carlos Queiroz says United’s players must remain switched on for the full 90 minutes against Reading, as Steve Coppell’s men will not give the Reds a moment’s peace.

United travel to the Madejski Stadium on Saturday looking for a fourth straight win in 2008, but the Reds are unlikely to be allowed to steamroller their opponents like against Newcastle last weekend.

Having said that, Queiroz says there is no shortage of confidence in the United camp after hitting six second-half goals against the Magpies.

“Reading will make it a difficult game for us,” he told reporters on Friday. “We saw them against Tottenham and it is a team that never rests.

“But we are very confident. If we can repeat the same kind of performance as we did against Newcastle, we will have a good chance to win the game.

“Reading were very good at home last season. They have not achieved the same level of results this season, but most of the points they have picked up have come at home.

“They are very difficult to play at home. We experienced that last season. Steve Coppell is doing a fantastic job there, the team is very well organised with a great attitude.”

Reading have already admitted they fear the devastation the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney can cause. But Queiroz says the Royals have some goalscoring threats of their own.

“They have good build-up play and they know how to score,” he added. “Their two forwards, Dave Kitson and Kevin Doyle, have both been doing well and scoring goals. It will be really tough.”

18/01/2008 07:14, Report by Ben Hibbs

Giggs has a case for defence

The spotlight may seem permanently fixed on Cristiano Ronaldo and the Reds’ attacking exploits lately, but Welsh winger Ryan Giggs is calling for recognition for United’s defenders.

Six second-half goals against Newcastle last weekend showed how quickly and easily United can turn on the style going forward, but it stole the limelight from yet another water-tight defensive performance.

The Reds are yet to concede a goal in 2008, making it 17 clean sheets in all competitions this season, and Giggs is in no doubt the solid defensive underpinning is fundamental to United's position as league leaders.

"The way our defence is playing at the moment is really helping us,” Giggs told MUTV.

“We have had so many clean sheets this season and you need that foundation to go out and play with flair."

But the 34-year Welshman says United’s defence will have to be on top form to keep Reading out at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

Steve Coppell’s side have managed to pick up three draws in five meetings with United in the last two seasons in the league and FA Cup. Giggs says the Reds defence will be just as important in keeping Reading out as United’s forwards will be to breaking the home side down.

“Reading are a team that won't just sit back and defend,” he added. “They will go out and try to score goals so hopefully it will be an open game.”

18/01/2008 06:58, Report by Ben Hibbs

Vidic: Ronaldo still improving

Nemanja Vidic reckons Cristiano Ronaldo is producing his best form ever this season, but says the in-form Reds winger is still improving.

If Premier League defenders think they’ve got it tough having to face Ronaldo talents, spare a thought for United’s Serbian centre-back who comes up against the Portuguese wing wonder every day in training.

But it is on the training ground against the likes of Vidic and Rio Ferdinand that Ronaldo has been able to hone his talents.

The 22-year-old winger is a notoriously hard worker in training, the fruits of which can be seen on the pitch, with 22 goals already this season, just one short of his tally last term.

Vidic believes Ronaldo's performances have lived up to, and once again surpassed, all expectations.

"We are very strong with him in our side," Vida told MUTV. "Last season was great for him, he scored so many goals and played so well.

"But he was under big pressure to improve again this season and, up to now, he has been great in the games and also in training.

"You always need to improve at this club. Everybody has sides to their game that they can improve and he has tried to fix his in training."

The question is, still a number of years short of reaching his peak, how much better can Ronaldo get?

18/01/2008 09:28, Report by Steve Bartram

Stoke swoop for Shawcross

Stoke City claim to have completed the permanent transfer of United defender Ryan Shawcross in a deal initially worth £1million.

The 20-year-old defender has been in superb form on loan at the Britannia Stadium this season, scoring an amazing seven goals, and the Potters moved swiftly to secure his signature amid interest from other clubs in the Premier League and Championship.

As well as the initial £1million fee, United are reportedly set to reap up to the same amount again dependent on appearances and the possibility of Stoke winning promotion.

Potters manager Tony Pulis told the Sentinel: "Four clubs from the Premiership and Championship were chasing him, so to win the race is a tremendous result for us.
"I think a big factor in our favour was how happy Ryan is here, so the dressing room deserves a big pat on the back. If the spirit in there hadn't been so good, he might have been tempted to go elsewhere.
"He's a big, likeable lad who everyone seems to have taken to since he has been here. Despite coming from Manchester United, there has been no 'big-time Charlie's airs' about him. He's simply got his head down and worked hard with the rest of the lads. He' been a credit to himself and to Manchester United.
"He's still only a lad of 20 who's going to be a bit naive and will make mistakes. But what we have bought is potential because over the next two years he will develop into a top, top defender."

17/01/2008 11:21, Report by Chris McKenna

Ryan reveals all on MUTV

Ryan Giggs has played with many great players during his time at United but it is current team mate, Paul Scholes, who he singles out as one of the best.
In an interview where Reds fans were given an opportunity to put their questions to the United winger, Giggs talked about the greatest players he has played with at Old Trafford.
“I’ve played with lots of great players so my mind changes all the time, players like Eric Cantona and Peter Schmeichel were great but I think at the moment Scholes would be top of the list,” he told MUTV.
In the fans’ interview, which will be aired on Saturday at 10am on Good Morning Manchester, the midfielder also revealed his African heritage.
“My grandparents are from Sierra Leone, that’s where my roots are in Africa but they moved over to Cardiff sometime in the 20th century.”
In the exclusive interview, Giggs spoke about how he may have become a Rugby league star had he not made it as a professional footballer.
“I watched my dad play Rugby league every week and I played up until I was 14 when I signed for United and I had to stop playing other sports. I loved it and if I wasn’t going to be a footballer I definitely would have pursued it.”
Good Morning Manchester will be aired on MUTV at 10am this Saturday.
17/01/2008 14:33, Report by Ben Hibbs

Royals fear Ronaldo

Reading boss Steve Coppell has spent much of this week hoping for one thing – a Cristiano Ronaldo off-day when the Royals entertain United at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The Reds winger’s form has been jaw-droppingly good in recent weeks, scoring 16 goals in his last 13 games.

As a former United wide man himself, Coppell has ultimate respect for United’s Portuguese prince. But that hasn’t stopped him fearing what Ronaldo could do to his side this weekend.

"Ronaldo's goalscoring record is phenomenal for a wide man," Coppell told local reporters.

"You can have nothing but respect for his talents. When I was player I went into the start of a season thinking a goal every six games would be a great return for a winger. But Ronaldo is scoring almost a goal a game - and he's not even a striker.

"He's scoring goals and he's also creating things for the team as well. He's got an awful lot going on in his game and he's a threat to any side in the world. You can only stand back and admire him because he's broken the mould in terms of what wide players can do.”

But if Reading’s players think they have only got Ronaldo to worry about, Coppell has some
other words of warning.

"It’s not just Ronaldo, then there's Wayne Rooney. On the four occasions United have lost this season, he hasn't played. I watched their FA Cup tie at Aston Villa and he really made the difference when he came on for the last 20 minutes. That's why he cost £25 million as a 17-year-old, he makes things happen."

But Coppell’s compliments should also come with the caveat that his side are well-drilled at frustrating United. In five meetings in the last two seasons – twice in the FA Cup and three times in the league – Reading have drawn three matches, with United’s two victories both narrow 3-2 successes.

"We've got to think we can get something from these games,” added Coppell. “These are the elite teams by some way and they are always going to be difficult tests for us.

"But we've got to think we're capable of getting points off them. We know we're capable because we've done it before, but that doesn't make it any easier."

18/01/2008 21:30, Report by Chris McKenna

In Saha we trust

United are confident that Louis Saha can remain fit for the remainder of the season and that there is no need to sign a new striker in the transfer window.

Saha, who missed last weekend’s win over Newcastle, has struggled with injuries during his time at Old Trafford but Carlos Queiroz believes the Frenchman can turn around his fortunes.

“We appreciate Saha a lot and we trust him," insisted Sir Alex's assistant. "We are confident Louis will be one of our best additions to the squad in January and he will play in the remaining five months of the season.

“We know he is a great player and everyone knows what he can deliver to the club.”

Saha’s return to fitness may be one of the reasons United have not made any moves to bring in fresh faces this month and Queiroz is not worried about other clubs making additions to their squads.

“All teams have different moments to sign players, we made our decision to do it in the summer," he explains. "It all depends on financial opportunity, the squad and strategies.”

United had been rumoured to be interested in Nicolas Anelka before he joined title rivals, Chelsea, but the Reds' assistant manager feels that a fit Louis Saha is potentially a better player.

“When both players were in direct competition for the French national team a couple of seasons ago, Saha was ahead of Anelka. We are in a very good position in terms of our squad."
19/01/2008 14:27, Report by Ben Hibbs

Report: Reading 0 United 2

United remain top of the Premier League but the Reds made things difficult for themselves at the Madejski Stadium, leaving it late for Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo to seal a 2-0 victory.

Sir Alex Ferguson will not have been thankful for his side’s profligacy in front of goal for much of the match, especially against a side of Reading’s energy, enthusiasm and unwillingness to give in.

It took 77 minutes for Rooney to put United in front with an expert flicked finish, but it should have been far more straightforward. Ronaldo’s goal deep in injury time confirmed victory, although this was a win that tested the nerves.

The game was wide open in the first ten minutes, with United picking up where they left off in the second half against Newcastle creating chance after chance.

Inside the first minute Carlos Tevez and Rooney linked up to play in Ronaldo on the right, and the Portuguese winger’s low shot was only narrowly wide.

The Reds still had to be sharp at the opposite end when Leroy Lita got in behind Rio Ferdinand after ten minutes. Edwin van der Sar saved the Royals striker’s shot, and Nemanja Vidic's brilliantly-timed sliding tackle stopped Dave Kitson passing the rebound into an empty net.

Seconds later Ronaldo sent another shot fizzing past the post, before Rooney and Tevez again combined with the Argentina international firing narrowly wide.

Sir Alex’s men rarely face teams that play an open game; it’s far more common to
come up against rigidly stubborn resistance than Reading’s have-a-go outlook. Some could say it was a brave decision by Steve Coppell, simply because it can play into United’s hands.

Owen Hargreaves, making only his 11th league start, was the latest to have a go, this time from a set-piece. Ronaldo was hacked down, central to the goal, 25 yards out. Hargreaves arced in his shot, which Marcus Hahnemann brilliantly turned behind for a corner.

Reading weren’t without their moments. A weak van der Sar clearance was very nearly punished by Kitson, whose 40-yard shot had to be headed clear by Ferdinand, with Edwin stranded out of his goal.

However, as against Newcastle, United could find a way through before the interval and faced a second-half searching for a way to break their opponents down.

Two minutes after the restart, United almost got a similar response to the one against Newcastle. From a corner taken by Ryan Giggs, on for Ji-sung Park at half-time, Kitson almost headed into his own goal, but Hahnemann saved the Reading striker’s blushes.

After an hour Ronaldo had a chance to score his 23rd goal of the season. Rio burst into the box and squared the ball across goal, but it bobbled just as Ronaldo went to shoot and his shot was sent skyward. United’s frustrations continued.

Sir Alex’s side played some good, penetrative football early in the second half, but the final, crucial touch was proving elusive.

The longer the game went on
the greater the feeling that Reading would deny United three points. But with little more than ten minutes left, that changed with a moment of sheer brilliance.

Tevez received the ball 35 yards from goal and picked out Rooney’s run into the box. The striker allowed the ball to drop over his left shoulder before expertly guiding the ball past Hahnemann. It was as much relief as joy for the Reds.

Carrick and Ronaldo both had chances to wrap up all three points. Carrick failed to latch onto Nani’s neat pull-back from the byline, while Ronaldo was denied one-on-one by Hahnemann.

Reading kept pushing for an equaliser and there were some desperate moments during the four minutes of added time, which ended with a United breakaway and Ronaldo running the full length of the pitch to dispatch his 23rd goal of the season.

Three points and a goal each for Rooney and Ronaldo: sounds like business as usual. But it certainly wasn’t done the easy way.

Team Line-ups

Reading: Hahnemann; Murty (c), Cisse, Ingimarsson, Shorey; Doyle, Harper, Hunt, Convey (Matejovsky 79); Lita (Long 83), Kitson.
Sub not used: Federici, De la Cruz, Rosenior.
Booked: Convey

Manchester United
: Van der Sar; Brown, Ferdinand (c), Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Hargreaves (Nani 70), Carrick, Park (Giggs 46); Tevez (Fletcher 79), Rooney.
Subs not used: Kuszczak, O’Shea.
Booked: Ferdinand

返回列表