返回列表 回復 發帖
14/01/2008 09:40, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s: Bolton 1 United 1

United's Under-18s had to fight back from a goal down to claim a point against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.

The match, which was played at United's Carrington training base, was actually a home game for Bolton. The Premier Academy League tie had to be switched as Bolton's pitch was waterlogged.

And it was the home side (Bolton, not United) who took the lead, somewhat against the run of play early in the second half.

But Paul McGuinness' side, who kicked off the new year with a 3-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers last weekend, weren't about to surrender so easily.

Italian striker Federico Macheda was on hand to resume parity with an equalising goal 15 minutes from time.

The Reds are in action on Wednesday night in the FA Youth Cup fourth round against Carlisle. The match, which will be played at Northwich FC's Victoria Ground, kicks off at 7pm and is live on MUTV.

United: Amos; McCormack, James, Gill (Gill 70), Dudgeon (Stewart 70); Curran, Norwood, Drinkwater, Galbraith (Galbraith 70); Brandao, Macheda.
Subs not used: Woods (GK), Moffatt.

14/01/2008 07:05, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds reject Saha fears

Louis Saha has not been ruled out for the rest of the season, contrary to reports in the UK press.

Saha picked up a knee injury in training leading up to Saturday's 6-0 win over Newcastle.

Sir Alex Ferguson said on Friday: "Louis got a knock in training, but hopefully he'll be okay [to play against Newcastle]."

But media reports on Saturday morning speculated that the 29-year-old, who was not included against the Magpies later that day, would not play again in the current campaign.

However, Reds chief executive David Gill told BBC Radio Five Live that the Frenchman has suffered a "slight knock, [but] he is certainly not out for the rest of the season."

15/01/2008 07:51, Report by Ben Hibbs

Carrick eyes front-runner role

Michael Carrick says United’s challenge now is to remain top of the league until the end of the season.

The Reds midfielder had arguably his finest game of the season in the 6-0 hammering of Newcastle on Saturday evening. The win moved United above Arsenal on goal difference at the Premier League's summit, and Carrick says the Reds are determined not to let the advantage go.

"Before we played Newcastle we knew Arsenal had drawn and that if we won we would go top," Carrick told MUTV.

"It is nice now to be sitting on top of the pile. Hopefully we can stay there, but that’s up to us. That’s the hard part. We managed to do it last season and hopefully we can do it again.

"I am sure we will if we keep playing like that. We want to get the momentum again and hopefully stay there for the rest of the season."

United currently have 51 points from 22 games, three less than last season’s total at the same stage. The Reds took 35 points from a possible 48 in the final 16 matches of last term’s title run-in, and may have to go close to that total again this time around. That means the Reds may have to pass the 85-point mark to retain the title.

Carrick is certain the Reds can deliver successive titles if United take all the good elements of the second-half performance against Newcastle into the crucial forthcoming months.

"We just have to do the right things in games," he added. "As long as we try to do that we’ll win a lot of games. When it does click, teams struggle to cope with us. When we play to that standard we will beat anyone and cause anyone problems. Hopefully that continues."
15/01/2008 08:07, Report by Nick Coppack

Reds to learn cup opponents

Sir Alex Ferguson insists he's not bothered which side wins Tuesday's FA Cup third round replay between Reading and Tottenham Hotspur.

The victor from the clash at the Madejski Stadium will face United at Old Trafford on Sunday 27 January (KO 14:00 GMT) in the fourth round.

“Either way it’s a difficult tie,” Sir Alex told Manchester United Radio. “I watched Tottenham against Arsenal recently and I think Spurs were the better side. They played very well and Juande Ramos seems to have got the players gelling very quickly.

“But they still have to go to Reading and that’s not an easy job. Reading are a very committed team and Steve Coppell’s sides are always enthusiastic about their football.

“The most important factors are a home draw and the fact that our squad is coming together nicely. I don’t mind who we get.”

Whichever team goes through, United will face them on consecutive weekends, home and away. Reading will host the Reds in the Barclays Premier League this Saturday 19 January and Spurs will do the same on Saturday 2 February, six days after the FA Cup tie.

15/01/2008 07:32, Report by Nick Coppack

Brown's England ambition

Wes Brown is determined to feature in Fabio Capello’s plans when the new England boss picks his first squad on 31 January.

The 28-year-old defender has been almost ever-present in the Reds’ defence this season, making 20 league appearances in the absence of regular right back Gary Neville. Now he wants to be involved when England play Switzerland in a friendly at Wembley on 6 February.

Brown played just five of England’s 18 matches under Steve McClaren and was an unused substitute on a further six occasions.

But his form for United this term has been top-drawer and he may well have done enough to catch Capello’s eye.

“Hopefully that’s the case,” Brown told Manchester United Radio. “If I can stay in the United team and continue to play well then hopefully I can get an England call up.”

15/01/2008 12:14, Report by James Tuck

Dong visits Number 10

Dong Fangzhuo met the Prime Minister on Monday as part of a government bid to further develop relations between the UK and China.
Gordon Brown invited the United striker to Downing Street for the Annual UK-China Summit, which aims to boost political, business, cultural and sporting links between the two nations.
Mr Brown and Foreign Secretary David Miliband chatted to Dong and around 20 other prominent members of the Chinese community in Britain, including Charlton Athletic midfielder Zheng Zhi, businessmen, writers, editors, actors, and students.
Dong said: “I talked with Mr Brown for about five or 10 minutes. He asked me about my experience here, the Chinese Olympic team and football in China generally, and wished me good luck for the future.”
Former Prime Minister Tony Blair and current Chinese leader Wen Jiabao held the first summit in 2005, when they pledged to work more closely on global security concerns, the environment and sustainable development.
Mr Brown will build on this year’s meeting when he travels to China to meet Mr Wen next month, his first visit since taking office as Prime Minister.
Papers: Gilberto Reds link
15/01/2008 10:44

Man Utd deal on cards says Hertha's Gilberto
Hertha Berlin's Gilberto has emerged as a candidate to give United extra cover at left back. The 31-year-old's agent Alexandra Martins claimed agreement with United was close after talks on a new deal at his German club broke down over his demand for £1.75million a year. Gilberto's contract runs out at the end of the season and United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to snap up the tough-tackling left-sided defender or midfielder. Gilberto said: "I have received offers from England, Portugal and Brazil. I have become accustomed to winning trophies with Brazil and would like to do the same at club level." Hertha general manager Dieter Hoeness said: "Trying to extend his contract is a priority for us."
Daily Mail
Meanwhile the Daily Mirror reports that Cristiano Ronaldo is assuring Sir Alex Ferguson that he does not need a rest. This time last year, Ronaldo set off to Dubai for a five-day break but he has no plans to do so this year as he wants to play every game.
Round up by Chris McKenna

15/01/2008 13:11, Report by Ben Hibbs

Strike duo ready to fire U18s

Under-18s coach Paul McGuinness hopes United's young strike duo, Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda, can fire the Reds to FA Youth Cup success this season.

The pair have scored 15 of United’s 36 goals this season in league and cup matches, and will hope to fire the Reds past Carlisle in the Youth Cup fourth round on Wednesday (KO 19:00 GMT).

Italian youth international Macheda is the U18s' top scorer this term with eight goals, including his strike in the 2-1 third round victory over Brighton & Hove Albion. Welbeck, an England U17 international, has scored seven goals this term. Together, they form a formidable partnership up.

“They are both very good players,” McGuinness told PA Sport. “Danny is still only young and has another year at this level. He’s a very talented player and all the other players respond to that.

“Federico is a very good technical player. He’s a good finisher, makes good decisions and some very clever runs. In some ways he has a style like Dimitar Berbatov. His touch is very good.”

Rome-born Macheda has made a strong impression on and off the pitch since arriving in the summer from Italy, where he was on Lazio’s books. “His English is coming on, he’s a bright boy,” added McGuinness. “He understands what we’re after and he has fitted in well with the culture of the club.”

“Federico and Danny are on a really good wavelength. That is what you want, good partnerships. When you see them in training and you look at the likes of Rooney and Tevez and the way they link up, those two lads are capable of doing similar sorts of combinations."

United reached the final of the FA Youth Cup last season, losing on penalties to Liverpool. But with experienced players like goalkeeper Ben Amos and midfielders Danny Drinkwater, Corry Evans and Magnus Eikrem (Welbeck also played last season) still in the side, United are hopeful of being strong challengers again.

“It would be nice to go one better this year,” said McGuinness. “We’re missing some of the players we had last year but those who remain have that extra experience. For them, there is a big motivation to go the next step.

“And if you look at the history of the FA Cup and FA Youth Cup, a lot of teams who get to the final get there again the following year. They know how much it means and have the experience of going through each round.”

There have been 13 occasions where teams have reached consecutive finals since the inception of the Youth Cup in 1953. United will hope this time it means a tenth success for the club, but McGuinness says the Reds aren’t getting too ahead of themselves yet.

“You take it round-by-round. Once you get through a couple of rounds, you start to get a feel for it. You get through one game and handle the pressure, then it can become a snowball effect.”

Admission to the Victoria Ground (Directions) for United's clash with Carlise is £5 adults, £2 concessions.

The match is also live on MUTV, with co-commentary from Gary Neville. Coverage starts at 18:30 GMT.
15/01/2008 14:44, Report by Chris McKenna

Transfer Rumours: Jan 08

Klaas Jan Huntelaar is being touted by various UK newspapers as the most likely United signing should Sir Alex Ferguson dip into the market during the January transfer window.

The Dutch striker has been linked with a move to United on numerous occasions but speculation is heating up that Huntelaar will sign for the Reds.
Rumours still abound that Berbatov may come to OT while Hertha Berlin’s Gilberto and Lyon’s Benzema have expressed an interest in joining United.
Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill have both insisted Ronaldo is going nowhere despite Real Madrid’s interest but debate still remains over Wes Brown’s future. Have your say at www.manutd.com/messageboard.

ARRIVALS
Player NameCurrent ClubPositionFeeGilbertoHertha BerlinDefenderUndisclosedRead rumour
Henrik LarssonHelsingborgStrikerLoanDiscuss here
Dimitar BerbatovTottenhamStriker£35millionDiscuss here
Karim BenzemaOlympique LyonnaisStrikerundisclosedDiscuss here
Klaas Jan HuntelaarAjaxStriker£12millionRead rumour
DEPARTURES
Player NameLinked WithPositionFeeCristiano RonaldoReal MadridMidfielder£45millionRead rumour
Wes BrownNewcastleDefenderUndisclosedDiscuss here
Phil BardsleySheffield UnitedDefenderUndisclosedDiscuss here
Ryan ShawcrossStoke CityDefender£1millionDiscuss here
16/01/2008 08:57, Report by Nick Coppack

Irwin: Spurs will be tough

Denis Irwin says United face a stern test in the FA Cup fourth round after Tottenham Hotspur defeated Reading at the Madesjki Stadium on Tuesday night.

The two teams needed a replay to settle their third round tie and it’s the Londoners, thanks to Robbie Keane’s strike in the 15th minute, who will arrive at Old Trafford on Sunday 27 January.

“Spurs gave us a tough game in the league back in August,” Irwin told ManUtd.com. “I think we were quite fortunate to win that day. That match was a turning point in the season because we’d struggled to score goals up to that point and it turned out to be our first win of the season.”

Irwin, who played in three FA Cup finals under Sir Alex Ferguson, said there’s no question his former boss wants to reach Wembley again.

“The FA Cup is a massive competition and you could see how seriously the manager is taking it by looking at the strong side we had out at Villa Park in the third round. United want to win it.

“It’s a competition that’s synonymous with this club – we’ve got the best record in it and the manager has won it a record five times. So it’s something everyone connected to the club wants to do well in.”

16/01/2008 06:23, Report by Ben Hibbs

Fletcher wants to stay

Darren Fletcher says he is happy at United and has no intention of leaving, despite interest from other Premier League clubs.

Media reports suggest the 23-year-old midfielder's former international boss Alex McLeish is keen on taking him to Birmingham City. But Fletcher insists he is not looking for pastures new.

"I am still happy playing for Manchester United and I am not thinking of going elsewhere," he said. "I never heard anything about Birmingham being interested, I just know I want to be here for a long time.

"My only focus is on being ready when the manager needs me and being able to perform for the club when asked."

The Scot has played 15 times for the Reds this season, nine times as a substitute with Anderson, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick so far higher up the pecking order. And with Paul Scholes due back later this month, competition is fierce for central midfield opportunities. But as the season enters its crucial stages, Fletcher hopes this will be the time where he can make his contribution felt.

"It is frustrating because any player wants to play," he said. "But it has been down to the form of the midfield. Fair play to Anderson, when Paul Scholes got injured, he came in and has great. The manager has stuck by him, which is what he does when you perform well.

"We will see how things pan out at the end of the season in terms of games played and what you have contributed to the squad. But I am not thinking about that just now. I'm looking short term, and I'd like to win a few trophies and hopefully go a few steps further than last year."
16/01/2008 11:32, Report by Chris McKenna

Boss: U18s strong up front

Sir Alex Ferguson believes United's Under-18s front men will be the key to success against Carlisle in the FA Youth Cup fourth round tie tonight.

"Our U18s can score goals," he told MUTV. "Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda up front are excellent players and we have some good footballers in midfield like Magnus Eikrem and Corry Evans. Attacking wise the team will do well."

Sir Alex is wary of the inexperience of the youth side's back line, but says the test will help the players mature. "The defenders are very young, but if they mature they could go on to do well in the cup."

Ferguson has always had a keen interest in the Youth Cup and, more than anyone, knows that the visitors will want an upset. He added: "It's a big game for these kids. I always remember Millwall coming here and they got stuck right in, it was a great cup tie. Carlisle will have that same motivation, they'll come to win and will probably bring a few supporters with them. Our boys will do well to get through."

United have a history of success in the FA Youth Cup, something Sir Alex believes affected the performance in the previous round against Brighton. "We didn't play as well as we expected but that sometimes happens in the first game. There are nerves to contend with. It's a big occasion, especially at this club because we have won it the most times."

The Reds overcame their first half nerves to come from a goal down to win 2-1 and book a place in the fourth round in their quest to achieve United's tenth success in the FA Youth Cup.
16/01/2008 10:36, Report by Gemma Thompson

Interview: Peter Schmeichel

United's former goal keeper Peter Schmeichel enjoyed eight glory-laden years with the Reds. We caught up with the Great Dane at a feelfootball.com coaching event in Manchester to discuss if the current crop has what it takes...

What have you made of United’s performances so far this season?
It’s starting to smell of big times again. I know we lost against Bolton but defeats give you a reality check and United know they need to keep working hard. Traditionally United are a stronger team come the latter part of the season and I think things look good. My main concern is when the big players are absent. I don’t believe we can play without Wayne Rooney or Nemanja Vidic. They are too important for us. Carlos Tevez is a great signing and one year down the line he and Wayne will be perfect together. But I still believe we need another striker. For me, Vidic has been the key to the defence. And he’s made Rio [Ferdinand] into a top class player. I thought Rio was a very good player before, but since Vidic has arrived they’ve got a settled partnership and Rio has developed brilliantly, just like Vidic.

Sir Alex recently commented that this is the strongest squad he’s ever had. You’ve been part of great United squads – how does this one compare?
The history of the club is something that is constantly breathing down your neck when you’re a United player. That history and the expectation level makes you go that one step further than any other player at any other club in the world. When I first joined, the history we had to deal with was the Busby Babes, 1968 and the fact that we hadn’t won the title for over 20 years. The desperation to
win it was incredible and we all felt that. The current squad did brilliantly to win it last season and they have a great chance to go on to big things, but they have history on their shoulders as well because they have ’99 to contend with which is a hell of a year to compete with. So, of course, the manager has got to go out there and say they’re the best squad he’s had. He has to make the players believe that and that’s a good way of doing it. He said it in the past when I was there and after I left. What he’s saying is I’m extremely happy with what I’ve got and I love to work with these players. If Sir Alex is happy United will win matches which is the most important thing.

Is winning a second European Cup something that niggles away at Sir Alex?
Yes definitely. There's no reason why he couldn’t have won a second one, but once you get down to the last four like United did last season it becomes a lottery. And things just haven’t gone their way at the important times in the important games. They have a great chance to win the Champions League every season and I'd love to see them do it this time round.

Ferdinand and Vidic have been compared to Bruce and Pallister…
I definitely see similarities. I loved playing behind those two and for me Rio and Vidic are on a par with them. Brucey had a great heart and Pallister was superb on the ball and you see similar aspects in Rio and Vidic. The game has changed so much since I played – it’s a lot quicker nowadays and there are even more skilful players around these days. That’s why Rio and Vidic are so impressive.

What have you made
of the progress Ronaldo has made since he joined United?
He’s been outstanding. He is up there as one of the five best players in the world. He’s learnt that the game is not all about doing fancy tricks, you need to do them at the right time. He’s found the perfect balance now of proving hugely effective by scoring and making goals, whilst still being able to throw in the odd trick and entertain the crowd. I believe Sir Alex is probably one of the few managers in the world who could manage a player like Ronaldo. Had Ronaldo been anywhere else I think he would be a different player – I’ve no doubt about that. Sir Alex is hard enough to put him in his place, but he’s also soft enough to encourage him as well.

There’s an interesting battle developing between United and City at the top of the table…
It’s fantastic for Manchester to see the two teams so close to each other. Obviously with my son Kasper being at City I want them to do well, but United are my team and I always want them to win. City have done brilliantly to stay up there for so long, but I can’t see them being there for the duration. The problem they have is despite doing so well this season, they still went to Chelsea and lost 6-0. It’s something that Sven [Goran-Eriksson] still needs to work on and it can take years to do that. In terms of the title race itself, it looks like it’ll be strongly contested by United and Arsenal, but I wouldn’t discount Chelsea either – they may still have a shot at it. Liverpool have an outside chance, but I don’t believe they’re as strong as United and Arsenal.

Papers: Brown staying at OT
16/01/2008 10:02

United risk losing Brown
Manchester United will resist the temptation to sell Wes Brown before the January 31 transfer deadline, despite the growing danger of losing him on a free transfer at the end of the season. Brown has reached an impasse with the club, who have refused his demands for a contract extension worth £55,000 a week, but, despite firm interest from Everton, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, will not sell. “We did turn down an offer from Newcastle a couple of weeks ago,” David Gill, the United chief executive, said. “But it’s unlikely that a team would come in and offer something substantial for him when he is out of contract in the summer.”
Oliver Kay, The Times

The Guardian reports that the FA have decided not to hold a minute's silence before England's friendly against Switzerland on 6 February for the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster because of fears that some fans will not respect the occasion.

Michael Carrick wants United to remain top for the rest of the season (The Sun) while the Mirror quotes Reds legend Peter Schmeichel hailing Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic as United's best defensive partnership since Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister.
Round up by Chris McKenna
17/01/2008 10:28, Report by Gemma Thompson

Saha's goals mission

Louis Saha is determined to fire United to glory this season and finally overcome his injury nightmare.

The Reds' striker has started just eight games this season after being dogged by setbacks throughout the campaign. He did, however, make a successful return to goalscoring form during United's Boxing Day victory over Sunderland.

And despite missing out the Reds' 6-0 victory over Newcastle last weekend, the 29-year-old says he is now ready to put his injury problems behind him and make an important contribution to the Reds' cause.

"It's great to score goals. I'm a striker and that's my job and now I want to concentrate on scoring more goals for the team," he told United Review.

"I'm very hard on myself and always want to do better, so I'm not very satisfied with how the season has gone so far on a personal level.

"I know I can do better, and hopefully I showed that against Sunderland. The manager's always shown a lot of faith in me and that gives me a lot of confidence.

"I'm definitely getting there [with overcoming injuries]. I played two full games in a row over Christmas and that was the first time I'd done that for a while.
"So things are improving and I'm looking to play even more. My target now is to stay fit and keep finding the back of the net."

With United well placed in the league, through to the knock-out stages of the Champions League and into the fourth round of the FA Cup, Saha believes 2008 could be another successful year for the Reds.

"We think it'll be and we hope it'll be, but we have to make sure we finish the season well," he insisted. "From this point, we have to be very clinical in terms of results."
返回列表