返回列表 回復 發帖

11/12/2007 17:20, Report by Gemma Thompson in Rome

Veloso a no-go

Sir Alex Ferguson has defended his assistant Carlos Queiroz over the row involving Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso, insisting the Reds are not interested in signing him.

Sporting chairman Filipe Soares Franco has accused the United No.2 of unsettling Veloso after reported comments from Queiroz praising the 21-year-old.

Queiroz defended his position, rejecting completely an allegation of being "ethically and morally very low", pointing out that he had never actually said the things Franco was responding to.

Sir Alex has added his backing and believes Franco should retract his comments.

"It is unfortunate the president has said this and it is more unfortunate that he has chosen Carlos as his target," said the United boss at a press conference in Rome.

"Carlos is not in the field of doing these things. His behaviour is impeccable and I feel the president should retract his comments.

"We have a good relationship with Sporting, which we have had for five years. We signed Ronaldo and Nani with no problems so why should we start to tap up a player when we have a good relationship with them.

"We are not interested in him and never have been."
12/12/2007 21:01, Report by Ben Hibbs and Gemma Thompson in Rome

Rooney loves captain role

Wayne Rooney revelled in captaining United in the 1-1 draw with AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico, and now the Reds striker is desperate for the Reds to reach the Champions League final.

A young United side led by Rooney protected the Reds unbeaten record in Group F, which prompted the stand-in skipper to suggest a place in the final in Moscow in May is achievable.

“It was fantastic to captain the team, and I think it was a good result and a good performance,” said the 22-year-old, who completed 70 minutes and looks sharp in time for the visit to Anfield this weekend.

United’s Champions League ambitions are now on hold until late February when the knockout matches kick in, but Rooney is unambiguous in his aims. “We’d love to win the Champions League this season," he said. "Hopefully we can go one step further than last year and reach the final.”

The United front man was impressed with the performance in Rome, particularly from the young players. “It’s a great experience for them to get Champions League football under their belts,” he said. “I'm sure it will have helped them a lot. Pique, Evans and Simmo did really well. They have great ability and bright futures ahead.

“As a team I thought we did very well and got off to a great start, putting them under a lot of pressure. Gerard Pique scored a great goal and we had a couple of chances in the second half to win it. We kept going after they scored and in the end a draw was probably a fair result.”

12/12/2007 20:57, Report by Ben Hibbs

Boss proud of young Reds

Sir Alex Ferguson admits his young side will take huge positives from their thoroughly deserved draw against a strong Roma side in the Stadio Olimpico.
Although the Italians posed questions of their visitors after the break and snatched a point through Mancini’s 70th-minute equaliser, United could easily have registered a sixth win in Group F.
Only profligate finishing and good goalkeeping prevented the Reds from building on Gerard Pique’s first-half opener, but Sir Alex was nevertheless satisfied by what he saw.
“I was pleased with a lot of it,” he told Sky Sports. “I think in the second half we gave the ball away too much, which is perhaps understandable with our inexperience at times. But we put up a good performance and I think we can be pleased with that.
“We lacked a bit of experience at times, but it was compensated for by their ability on the ball, we played some good football against the strongest Roma side. We’re really pleased with that.”
United’s youngsters suffered a humiliating defeat to Coventry City in the Carling Cup back in September but, with seven of those who started against the Sky Blues lining up in Rome, a huge degree of pride was restored by Wednesday’s result.
“In the context of today there wasn’t a great deal in the game for either side, but I think both sides played with quite a deal of freedom in their game,” said Sir Alex. “It was end to end and I think in the end it was a very good European game.
“I think we were unlucky in the second half, we had a good bit of football between Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha, and unluckily we weren’t able to put it in, but it was good football.
“It [the experience] helps them. The sudden bursts of play from Roma can catch you off guard at times. The explosion of noise from their fans is exactly the same thing, and that’s the European game for you. It will do them the world of good.”
12/12/2007 20:54, Report by Ben Hibbs

Report: Roma 1 United 1

This was never likely to be a game to excite the senses or engross the neutrals, but Sir Alex Ferguson can take positives from some bright performances as his young side earned a 1-1 draw in the Stadio Olimpico.

Gerard Pique’s thumping header gave United a half-time lead, but the Italians, who were largely off-colour in the first half, couldn’t afford to disappoint the home crowd and pushed men forward after the break. It worked, with Mancini striking a fine equaliser with 20 minutes remaining.

As expected, with both sides already through to the last 16 there was little resting on this tie, and the match lacked the customary cut and thrust of Champions League encounters. But, although Sir Alex took a very young squad to the Italian capital, his starting line-up certainly wasn’t bereft of first-team regulars. Captain for the night Wayne Rooney, who completed 70 minutes and looks sharp in readiness for Sunday’s trip to Anfield, partnered Louis Saha in attack. Michael Carrick, John O’Shea, Darren Fletcher and Nani were also given valuable playing time.

However, the United boss did go with a very inexperienced back four and goalkeeper. Gerard Pique and Jonny Evans, who started the ill-fated Carling Cup defeat to Coventry City in September, were again paired in central defence. Full-back Danny Simpson supported Chris Eagles on the right side for the Reds, while Tomasz Kuszczak replaced Edwin van der Sar in goal. Those five players can claim just 12 Champions League appearances between them.

Led by Rooney, the Reds made a positive start. Dropping deep off Saha – a role he
performs much less frequently alongside Carlos Tevez – Rooney had two long-range efforts inside the first 20 minutes, but both were high over the bar.

Roma Giallorossi talisman Francesco Totti did have the ball in the net after 10 minutes, but it was ruled out for offside. Then, midway through the first half with Roma enjoying a five-minute spell of pressure, Kuszczak had to make two smart saves to keep the scores level. From an Antunes cross the Polish stopper desperately palmed the ball over the crossbar, before saving low from David Pizarro’s 20-yard strike.

The Italians sensed an opening and continued to press United’s young defence. Mauro Esposito could have scored had he directed his header from eight yards, but he failed to trouble Kuszczak and the Reds stood firm. Moreover, it was a Reds defender that gave United the lead. On 34 minutes, Nani swung in a corner and Pique powered home his header, his second goal in three Champions League appearances this season.

The home side could have equalised before the break when Mancini hit the bar from close range and Esposito again misdirected his header. Kuszczak, too, was proving obstructive to the home side’s advances, pulling off a fine save from Mancini’s shot.

United were deserved leaders at the break, and with Roma unable to alter the scoreline 20 minutes into the second half, Giallorossi boss Luciano Spalletti made two attacking changes to his team, bringing on Ludovic Giuly and Mirko Vucinic. However, the Reds continued to pepper Roma’s goal. Carrick and Eagles both watched long-range shots drift wide, before an
exquisite one-two between Rooney and Saha put the Frenchman through on goal but his shot was well saved by Doni.

Rooney left the field with 20 minutes remaining, being replaced by Dong Fangzhuo. But his departure came second after Roma’s equaliser. Mancini, who has received much criticism from the home supporters for his inconsistent displays, dealt ruthlessly with the time and space he was given inside the area. Cutting inside away from substitute Wes Brown, he arced his shot past Kuszczak. Seconds later Vucinic struck the post as the home side stepped up the tempo.

Both sides had chances to win it at right at the death. First Nani raced through on goal but could only direct his shot straight at Doni. Then, after United failed to clear the ball, Vucinic blazed his shot over the bar from two yards. It was hardly a surprise that, with nothing resting on this dead-rubber of a tie, the scores ended even. The intensity of this game may be poles apart from what is expected in Liverpool on Sunday, but this young United team can be pleased with their performance.

Team Line-ups

AS Roma: Doni; Cicinho, Ferrari, Mexes, Barusso (Giuly 62); Esposito (Vucinic 62), Antunes, Taddei, Pizarro, Mancini; Totti.
Subs not used: Julio Sergio, Panucci, Juan, De Rossi, Pit.
Booked: Barusso (49)

Manchester United: Kuszczak; Simpson, Pique, Evans, O'Shea (Brown 54); Eagles, Fletcher, Carrick, Nani; Rooney  (Dong 72), Saha.
Subs not used: Heaton, Lee, Hewson, Brandy, Eckersley.

12/12/2007 22:24, Report by Steve Bartram

Sheasy a doubt for Sunday

John O’Shea is a doubt for Sunday’s trip to face Liverpool after suffering a groin strain during United’s Champions League draw with Roma.

The versatile Irishman, scorer of last season’s dramatic winner at Anfield, sustained the injury late in the first half at the Stadio Olimpico.

“He’s got a groin strain,” Sir Alex Ferguson told Sky Sports after the match. “He got it near half-time when he made a clearance near the goal-line.”

O’Shea was replaced just after the interval by Wes Brown, just moments after Jonny Evans had suffered a late challenge from Ahmed Barusso, who was fortunate to escape with just a booking.

“Jonny got an ankle knock, but was ok and was able to play on,” said Sir Alex. “The second challenge looked a bad tackle and I think he was lucky to get out of that.”

Wayne Rooney captained the Reds in Rome, but Sir Alex was otherwise able to rest a host of big-name players ahead of Sunday’s showdown on Merseyside.

“We took Wayne off with 20 minutes to go, which was perfect for him,” said the manager. “He wanted a game. He didn’t need it but he wanted it, and we were happy to let him play.”

“We’ve got a big game on Sunday, it’s a massive game. Manchester United and Liverpool derbies are always that way. The players who are at home are getting good training sessions in readiness.”
12/12/2007 17:40, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds eye last 16 five

United will face one of six group runners-up in the last 16 of the Champions League - one being Celtic.

Sir Alex Ferguson will be pleased that his side have avoided fellow group winners AC Milan, Internazionale, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

With the group stages now concluded the Reds, who finished top of Group F, could face Schalke, Olympiakos, Celtic, Lyon and Fenerbahce.

United cannot face Roma, who finished second in Group F, or Liverpool and Arsenal who were runners-up in Groups A and H respectively.

The draw for the last 16 will take place in Nyon on Friday 21 December at 11:00 GMT.

United will be at home for the first leg on 19/20 February 2008, and will travel away for the second leg two weeks later on 4/5 March.

Stay tuned to ManUtd.com on 21 December for news of United's last 16 opponents. We will also bring you confirmation of dates as soon as they are announced.

Who's through?Group Winners: FC Porto, Chelsea, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Barcelona, Manchester United, Internazionale, Sevilla.
Runners-up: Liverpool, Schalke, Olympiacos, Celtic, Lyon, AS Roma, Fenerbahce, Arsenal.

When's the draw?
Friday 21 December, 11:00 GMT

14/12/2007 11:29, Report by Ben Hibbs & Steve Bartram

Hargreaves fit for Anfield test

Owen Hargreaves is fit and ready to face Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday after overcoming a slight calf strain.

The 26-year-old midfielder was withdrawn from last weekend's 4-1 win over Derby County at Old Trafford after pulling up in the warm-up.

He didn't travel to Italy in midweek for the 1-1 draw with AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico, but he will be available for the crunch clash with Rafael Benitez's men.

Hargreaves' energy, defensive qualities and passing ability could be crucial on Sunday, and one of his main tasks could be to stifle Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

Sir Alex Ferguson will also have John O'Shea fit for the match after injuring his groin against Roma in midweek.

"Everyone is fit," said Sir Alex. "John O'Shea is ok after a couple of days' rest."
14/12/2007 11:53, Report by Steve Bartram

A match like no other

Sir Alex Ferguson cannot wait to sample Sunday's clash with Liverpool, insisting that fixtures between the pair are unrivalled in English football.

Liverpool's improvement this season looks set to make them genuine contenders for the Barclays Premier League title, adding even more of an edge to an invariably spicy fixture.

"This is a game separate from everything, it has different tendancies to any other game," said Sir Alex. "I think it's fair to say we look upon each other as our main rivals in English football, so it's separate from everything."

Despite slipping to a shock defeat at Reading last weekend, Liverpool's midweek win over Marseille takes them into Sunday's fixture on a high, although Sir Alex hinted that he would not have relished the fixture if the Merseysiders had crashed out of Europe.

"There are two different ways of looking at it," he said. "You could have Liverpool as a wounded animal going into the game, or as they are. Sometimes a wounded animal is more dangerous."

United go into the match six points ahead of their local rivals, but having played a game more. Sir Alex admits Liverpool are well in the title picture alongside Arsenal and
Chelsea, who also lock horns on Sunday.

"Liverpool have got a game in hand, haven't they," he said. "Three points is nothing in this league, it's a competitive league now. Arsenal were six points ahead of us two weeks ago, now it's one.

"With Chelsea going to Arsenal as well, if it was March or April then it would without doubt be a significant weekend, but it's halfway through the season.

"Two draws will be the favourite scorelines, they're two difficult games to call. Certainly I'm looking at Arsenal and Chelsea and hoping it's a draw. Whenever your rivals play each other, you hope they'll drop points."
14/12/2007 07:25, Report by Ben Hibbs & Gemma Thompson

Rooney targets top spot

Wayne Rooney is targeting a double on Sunday - victory over fierce rivals Liverpool at Anfield and top spot in the Premier League.
United will go top if they win and Arsenal drop points at home to Chelsea. And Rooney is looking forward to what could be a pivotal day in the title race.
“It's a massive weekend for the top four clubs,” he told ManUtd.com.

“The fact that Arsenal and Liverpool both lost last weekend was great for us. We know that if we win on Sunday then we’ve got a great chance of going top. That will spur us on.”
Not that Rooney should need any extra cajoling as a Liverpool-born, Everton-bred striker visiting Anfield.

“The rivalry between United and Liverpool is huge,” added the striker. “When the fixtures come out, I always look for the game against Liverpool, and City as well.”

United’s last-gasp 1-0 victory on Merseyside last season was a crucial moment in securing the title. But Rooney, who was substituted in the match with an injury, admits he didn’t actually see John O’Shea’s incredible winner.

“I was getting stitches in my leg in the dressing room,” he recalls. “I heard a big shout and the next thing I knew Scholesy walked in having been sent off. Everyone was thinking ‘oh no’ and we were all hoping we could hold on for the draw."Then our press officer ran in saying Sheasy had scored. We were all jumping around and I went straight back out to the pitch. It was one of the best feelings I’ve experienced.”

The away end was awash with ecstatic celebration, and the 3,000-or-so fans that make the trip again this weekend will be in equally good voice. “Our fans are unbelievable,” added Rooney.

“It’s always a good atmosphere at Anfield when United go there, and we’ve got the best away fans around. They never stop singing throughout the game and supporting the team. I think they could really help us on Sunday.”

14/12/2007 11:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Blog: The key battles

There are going to be individual battles all over the pitch on Sunday, but I've picked three that I think can really influence the game: Rooney v Carragher, Hargreaves v Gerrard and Ferdinand v Torres...
Wayne Rooney v Jamie Carragher
Wayne takes two or three games after an injury to reach peak sharpness. He’s had that now and looked as sharp as you would want him against Roma. He seems ready for battle against a player that is an Anfield hero. Carragher is an exceptional defender and he’ll be all over Rooney like a rash, but Wayne is a defender’s nightmare.
Owen Hargreaves v Steven Gerrard
This is a critical one because we can’t allow Gerrard to dictate the play. He’s their talisman with bundles of enthusiasm and he drives his team on. We’ve got to counter that. And, in Owen Hargreaves, I think we’ve got the player to do that. He’ll have a battle plan to deny Liverpool, and Gerrard in particular, space to create. I’ve got no worries that Hargreaves has the pace and determination to match Gerrard.
Rio Ferdinand v Fernando Torres
Benitez might rest Torres for this one, you never know! Sir Alex knows all about him, we were interested in him at one point. He’ll be a handful for Rio, but the way Ferdinand and Vidic are playing you’d fancy them against any striker in the world. Ferdinand has the speed to match Torres and one of his key attributes is that he reads the game really well. That will be vital in stopping Torres from turning and running at United’s defence.
13/12/2007 19:49, Report by Ben Hibbs

U18s: United 2 Brighton 1

United came from a goal down to earn a deserved 2-1 win against Brighton in the FA Youth Cup third round on Thursday.

Anton Bryan and Federico Macheda got the goals to see the Reds through, but it looked at one point as if Brighton might snatch an unlikely victory.

United set off at a quick pace and had the first real chance after 15 minutes at the Victoria Stadium, Northwich. Danny Welbeck’s flick-on from a corner found skipper Corry Evans free, whose header was powerful but straight at the Brighton goalkeeper.

Five minutes later defender Scott Moffatt went agonisingly close with a header from Magnus Eikrem’s precise cross.

The Reds looked sharp and had played the better of the football, but Brighton scored against the run of play when defender Lee Bryant scrambled home a corner after 29 minutes.

United’s impressive strikers Welbeck and Macheda were causing havoc for the Brighton defence. Their interchanging play conjured an opening for England U17 international Welbeck, but he didn’t connect with his shot, which drifted wide.

If the Reds were unlucky to be a goal down at the break, they were even unluckier not to have equalised through midfielder Danny Drinkwater a minute after the restart. Arriving late in the box onto Danny Galbraith’s left-wing cross, Drinkwater cracked his shot against the post.

Ten minutes later Drinkwater struck the other post. Lurking on the edge of the area, he chested down Moffatt’s cross and hit a sweet
left-foot volley that cannoned back off the upright.

With fifteen minutes of the match remaining United looked to be heading for an early and undeserved exit, despite dominating the entire second half. But after a prolonged period camped in the Brighton final third, the pressure finally paid off. Substitute Anton Bryan turned well on the edge of the box and fired his shot into the bottom corner. It was nothing more than United deserved.

And five minutes later a second arrived courtesy of Macheda. The Italian striker raced through on goal and was brought down by the goalkeeper. Macheda dusted himself down and, after seeing his spot-kick saved, scored at the second attempt.

For a while it looked like the Reds might not make it through to the fourth round, but Paul McGuinness’ young side showed character, determination to earn the win and a fourth round tie at home to Carlisle United.

United: Amos; Moffatt, Strickland, James, Dudgeon; Eikrem (Stewart 82), C.Evans, Drinkwater, Galbraith (Bryan 55); Welbeck, Macheda.
Papers: Ready for battle
14/12/2007 10:27

Liverpool are contenders
Michael Carrick reckons Manchester United’s clash with Liverpool will be the biggest battle for years between the old enemies. The Red Devils star reckons the fact Liverpool are now credible title-challengers has raised the intensity surrounding Sunday’s Anfield battle. Midfielder Carrick, 26, said: “As players, Liverpool is always a special game for us — especially at Anfield. The difference this year is that Liverpool are going for the title too, which makes it even bigger. There’s no doubt you can feel the intensity surrounding this fixture. You can feel it around the town."
Neil Custis, The Sun

Ahead of Sunday's game, United's No.2 Carlos Queiroz pays tribute to Liverpool striker Fernando Torres. "Torres is doing really well and I am impressed with him," he said. "He is already going some way to making the difference for Liverpool this season.

In other news, The Sun claims Roy Keane expects to sign United defenders Phil Bardsley and Jonny Evans when the transfer window opens on 1 Janaury.

A British police authority chairman called last night for AS Roma to be thrown out of European football after trouble marred their Champions League match with United on Wednesday evening. The chairman of Cleveland Police Authority was in Italy when ten Middlesbrough supporters were stabbed, and after seven United fans were taken to hospital this week he wants to see action taken against Roma.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
13/12/2007 16:04, Report by Steve Bartram

Reina banks on three points

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina expects his side to beat United in Sunday's massive Premier League showdown at Anfield.
Despite last weekend's shock defeat at Reading, the Merseysiders clinched a place in the Champions League knockout stages with a convincing win in Marseille - a timely boost for Reina and his colleagues.
“We certainly have a lot of confidence about Sunday now," said the Spaniard. “We know we must be ready for United but it could be a great game in front of our own fans - and we expect to win.
“We have one of the best teams in Europe, although there are some tough teams in the Premier League and it’s a lot more difficult this year."
Rafa Benitez's side currently sit fourth in the Premier League, six points behind United with a game in hand, and Reina admits his side face a huge ask to win the title.
“At Reading last week we saw that anyone can beat anyone else at the moment," he said. "Chelsea, Arsenal and United are in really good form and it’s very difficult to finish ahead of them in the long term. But the Premier League is a long race and we want to keep the momentum going.”

Defender Jamie Carragher believes three points on Sunday would give Liverpool the mental boost required to regain the league title for the first time since 1990.

"We haven't beaten either of our rivals this season and we need to change that," said Carragher told Zoo magazine. "The draws against Arsenal
and Chelsea felt like defeats because in both games we took the lead.
"Beating United would mean more than three points - psychologically we would really start to believe."

Rafa Benitez's side are expected to be boosted by the return of Xabi Alonso from injury, while there are lingering doubts over the involvement of Steve Finnan and Daniel Agger definitely misses out.
13/12/2007 15:48, Report by Nick Coppack

Match Pack: Liverpool

There's hardly any need for added incentive when this fixture rolls around, but a win on Sunday for either side could dramatically alter things at the top of the table. Victory for United could see Sir Alex's men end the weekend on top; three points for Liverpool would really open up the title race.
Form guide: Liverpool endured a tough day at the Madejski Stadium last weekend but soon got back to winning ways with a 4-0 romp over Marseille in the Champions League. United drew with Roma in midweek but Sir Alex rested most of the Reds' big guns. In the league, United have lost just once since August.

Ins and outs: Last season's match-winner John O'Shea picked up a groin injury in the Italian capital and is a doubt, but United are otherwise at full-strength (notwithstanding long-term absentees).  Liverpool could welcome Xabi Alonso back from injury, although the match is likely to come too soon for Daniel Agger (foot) and Steve Finnan (calf).

Star men: Nemanja Vidic has already spoken of his admiration for Fernando Torres and the Spaniard could well pose the Reds problems. The home team will need to contain Cristiano Ronaldo, who's now scored 12 goals in his last 10 games.

Betting offer: You'll get 13/2 on United repeating last season's 1-0 win, but 2/1 on a draw seems like very decent odds. More at www.manutd.com/bet
There's hardly any need for added incentive when this fixture rolls around, but a win on Sunday for either side could dramatically alter things at the top of the table. Victory for United could see Sir Alex's men end the weekend on top; three points for Liverpool would really open up the title race.
Form guide: Liverpool endured a tough day at the Madejski Stadium last weekend but soon got back to winning ways with a 4-0 romp over Marseille in the Champions League. United drew with Roma in midweek but Sir Alex rested most of the Reds' big guns. In the league, United have lost just once since August.

Ins and outs: Last season's match-winner John O'Shea picked up a groin injury in the Italian capital and is a doubt, but United are otherwise at full-strength (notwithstanding long-term absentees).  Liverpool could welcome Xabi Alonso back from injury, although the match is likely to come too soon for Daniel Agger (foot) and Steve Finnan (calf).

Star men: Nemanja Vidic has already spoken of his admiration for Fernando Torres and the Spaniard could well pose the Reds problems. The home team will need to contain Cristiano Ronaldo, who's now scored 12 goals in his last 10 games.

Betting offer: You'll get 13/2 on United repeating last season's 1-0 win, but 2/1 on a draw seems like very decent odds. More at www.manutd.com/bet
14/12/2007 21:40, Report by Steve Bartram

Scholesy on schedule

Paul Scholes' recovery from a knee operation is on schedule and, according to Sir Alex Ferguson, the midfielder will be able to resume full training in six weeks.

The veteran star has been out of action since suffering cartilage damage ahead of United's Champions League trip to face Dynamo Kyiv.

"He went to see the specialist last week," revealed Sir Alex. "He's going to start straightforward running next week.

"All being well, he'll be back in full training with us in six weeks' time."

If Sir Alex's timeline proves accurate, Scholes could be available for selection when Portsmouth visit Old Trafford on Wednesday, 30 January.
返回列表