返回列表 回復 發帖

07/01/2008 09:51, Report by Ben Hibbs

Manucho strikes for Angola

New United signing Manucho was on target for Angola as they continue their preparations for the African Nations Cup later this month.

The 24-year-old striker, who impressed on a three-week trial late last year, must wait to be granted a work permit before being allowed to complete his move to Old Trafford.

The Angolan forward struck the only goal of the friendly match against Dutch side Willem II in Portugal on Sunday.

Angola play Egypt in Lisbon on Thursday in their next warm-up match before their opening game African Nations Cup against South Africa in Tamale on 23 January.

07/01/2008 13:27, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds get top-flight draw

United have been drawn at home against either Tottenham Hotspur or Reading in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Reds beat Aston Villa 2-0 in the third round with goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

Spurs and Reading drew 2-2 at White Hart Lane on Saturday, setting up a replay at the Madesjski on Tuesday 15 January.

FA Cup Fourth Round Draw
Arsenal v Stoke City/Newcastle
Coventry v Walsall/Millwall
Oldham v Huddersfield Town
Wigan v Chelsea
Luton/Liverpool v Swansea/Havant & Waterlooville
Southend v Barnsley
Southampton v Norwich/Bury
Man Utd v Tottenham/Reading
Portsmouth v Plymouth
Derby/Sheff Wed v Preston
Watford v Wolves
Peterborough v Charlton/West Brom
Sheff Utd v West Ham/Man City
Mansfield v Middlesbrough
Tranmere/Hereford v Cardiff

Fourth round ties will be played on 26 and 27 January.

08/01/2008 11:05, Report by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex sets 2008 blueprint

United have kicked off 2008 with two victories in two competitions, which fits in with Sir Alex Ferguson’s blueprint for the year as he looks to challenge on all fronts.

The Reds are currently two points behind league leaders Arsenal, face an FA Cup fourth round tie with either Tottenham or Reading and have a Champions League last 16 clash with Lyon looming in February.

After narrowly missing out on FA Cup glory last season and just running out of steam in the Champions League semi final against AC Milan, Sir Alex thinks the current squad has the quality in depth and experience to go a step further.

“I am looking for success in Europe as well as at home,” he says. “We have the players and the back-up to do it. We are a more mature team this season in terms of European football and we have played some successful and entertaining stuff.

“We’ve lost a couple of games in the league but our consistency overall has been very good. We are with the leaders in the league and we are through to the knockout stages of the Champions League and ready for the exciting games ahead.”

Sir Alex's optimism is fuelled by the cohesion of United's squad, especially with Carlos Tevez, Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson adapting quickly to life at Old Trafford. He said: "The main reason fpr my optimism is the way we have knitted together as a team, with the new players settling to make the kind of impact we were not entitled to expect so soon."
08/01/2008 09:37, Report by Nick Coppack

Crerand happy with cup draw

MUTV pundit Paddy Crerand says the Reds have been handed a “great” FA Cup draw.

Crerand, who lifted the cup with United in 1963, says facing Tottenham Hotspur or Reading at Old Trafford in the fourth round should ensure the Reds don’t go into the match complacent.

“When you get daft little teams from lower divisions you don’t know what to expect,” Crerand told MUTV. “But this is a game in which United have to field a strong side, no matter who gets through.”

Spurs and Reading drew 2-2 at White Hart Lane on Saturday and will settle the tie at the Madejski Stadium with a third round replay on Tuesday 15 January.

“I’d love for Tottenham to get through,” Crerand said. “We played Reading last season. Tottenham have a great FA Cup history and I think it would be fantastic if we could play them in the fourth round.”

Although United’s 2-0 win over Aston Villa in the third round didn’t excite too many neutrals, the former Scotland international said he thoroughly enjoyed his day at Villa Park.

“When the manager brought Owen Hargreaves on I thought he was settling for a draw and I was quite happy with that because I thought we could finish the job at Old
Trafford in a replay.

“But then he brought Wayne Rooney on and it was as if the place had been struck by lightning! He was absolutely everywhere.

“What I enjoyed most on Saturday, however, was the Manchester United support. It was incredibly and the fans were very witty. No wonder the United players and the manager love to play at Villa Park – it’s because the fans love to go there and they make so much noise. They never stopped on Saturday and sung from start to finish.”

United will play Tottenham or Reading at Old Trafford on Saturday 26 January or Sunday 27 January.
Papers: Top of the tree
08/01/2008 08:52

United cash in on 330million fans
It's official, folks - Manchester United will prove this week they are still the top earners in English football, thanks to the world’s biggest fan base. Arsenal claimed to have taken their crown back in September, when they announced a turnover of £201million. But they cannot compete with United’s mega 330m global fan base (and no, they don’t all live in Surrey!)
United will announce their own increase in turnover on Thursday to £245m.
Neil Custis, The Sun

The Sun also claims that United want David Beckham to become their global ambassador when he retires from playing. The Reds reportedly want him to take over the role now held by 70-year-old Sir Bobby Charlton. And the move will be given its blessing by Sir Alex Ferguson, who long ago patched up his differences with the player.

Meanwhile, Michael Carrick claims Champions League glory is a bigger pull for United than domestic dominance.

Chelsea have had a £12m bid turned down by Bolton Wanderers for rumoured United transfer target Nicolas Anelka.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
07/01/2008 14:32, Report by Nick Coppack

Runaway Ronaldo tops poll

There was only ever going to be one winner of ManUtd.com’s Player of the Month award for December 2007.

Hot favourite Cristiano Ronaldo ran away with a staggering 59 per cent of the vote after netting seven goals in six appearances.

More than 17,000 ManUtd.com users had their say, with Wayne Rooney a distant runner-up on 16 per cent. Ronaldo's win gave the Reds' no.7 his second Player of the Month award this term after he also topped the November poll.

The 22-year-old began December with a brace against Fulham before striking again five days later when Derby County came to Old Trafford.

Ronaldo scored another two against Everton on 23 December before curling in a spectacular free-kick against Sunderland on Boxing Day at the Stadium of Light.

There was still time for the Portuguese midfielder to score once more before the year’s end, this time with a pinpoint header at Upton Park.

Star menManUtd.com Player of the Month 07/08

Aug - Owen Hargreaves
Sep - Nemanja Vidic
Oct - Wayne Rooney
Nov - Cristiano Ronaldo
Dec - Cristiano Ronaldo
09/01/2008 09:39, Report by Steve Bartram

Mikael progressing well

Mikael Silvestre is making steady progress in his gruelling rehabiliation from cruciate knee ligament damage.
The French defender sustained the injury in September's win at Everton, but he is hoping to be back in action before the end of the season.
On a short family holiday in New York, Mikael told the New York Times: "I have been doing five, six hours a day of rehab since I got injured. It is a bit boring and very tiring because I only stay in the gym and don't get to go on the field.
"I'm not even running outside yet, only in the pool. I'm not even touching the ball. It is a long process and a long time without enjoying myself on the field."
The 30-year-old international expects to take part in some Reserve team action before making a senior return, and he is confident that he will prove a useful squad addition as the season draws to a hectic finale.
"I know if I come back to my best then I will be able to play again because there are so many games. You always get an opportunity to play," he said.
"I know I will have to play in the Reserves first, at least one or two
games. Play 45 minutes, then an hour-and-a-half. You can't go straight back to the first team. That's what happens usually, it will be the same for me."
As an enforced spectator for the vast majority of the season, Silvestre has been impressed with United's form thus far - and in particular with the Reds' summer signings.
"We are again competing for the championship," he said. "I think the club has made some great signings to improve again the quality of the team, which gives us a lot of confidence to win the league again and the Champions League.
"The team is the same as last year, plus new quality in Carlos Tevez, Nani and Owen Hargreaves. It's great."

09/01/2008 09:32, Report by Steve Bartram

Edwin covets European glory

While Edwin van der Sar is far from fussy when it comes to picking up silverware, the veteran goalkeeper admits he would love to win the Champions League again in May.
The 37-year-old Dutch international last lifted the trophy in 1995 with Ajax and, as his glittering career edges towards its end, he would love to reprise that glory.
“It is very difficult to make a choice on trophies,” he is quoted as saying in the Daily Star. “I don’t think you can really aim for one. I think you have to go with the flow a little bit.
“But, if you had to make a choice in March or April as to which game you would prefer to play in, then I would prefer the Champions League."
With United well set in Europe, but also the Premier League and FA Cup, van der Sar is eager for success in every field.
“All three competitions we are involved in are nice," he said. "It would be great to be Premier League champions again.
“To be champions twice in a row is a good feeling. If you do that, you then stamp your authority on the league, but we will also do all we can to get to the FA Cup Final again.
“We start again [in Europe] in February and we are playing against a good team in Lyon. They will be difficult. But there are no pressures within the club. We don’t think we have to win this and that. We just try and win as much as possible. The thrill is for the supporters to get excited.”

10/01/2008 10:49, Report by Gemma Thompson

Reds reveal pre-season plans

The club have confirmed they will spend a week in South Africa as part of their pre-season preparations for the 2008/09 campaign.

The travelling party, which will be confirmed at a later date but will include those players not involved in Euro 2008, will fly out on 19 July for their seven-day trip.

Full details of match dates will be communicated by Sir Alex Ferguson at a press conference in February.

The Reds last visited South Africa in 2006 and the United boss is looking forward to the team's summer return.

"We really enjoyed our visit in 2006," he said. "The atmosphere in all the stadiums and the enthusiasm from the fans helped make for a great trip. All the facilities were first class and I am looking forward to returning."

09/01/2008 20:00, Report by Steve Bartram

Reserves: Everton 2 United 2

Club captain Gary Neville made his long-awaited return from injury for United's Reserves on Wednesday evening, completing 45 minutes and scoring a rare goal as the Reds drew a thrilling match with Everton.

Neville played in his customary right-back berth and appeared fit and hungry for action as he put in an extremely promising shift against the Toffees, before being replaced by Richard Eckersley at half-time.

It was Neville's goal after 21 minutes which put United on the road to an impressive fightback. A deflected strike from Victor Anichebe and a long-range effort from James Vaughan had the hosts two goals up within 17 minutes.

Having motored down the right flank and onto David Gray's through-ball, however, Neville halved the arrears by cutting inside and placing a left-footed shot past goalkeeper John Ruddy, albeit via a slight deflection.

In a match which was littered with chances for both sides, United should have drawn level just before half-time when Febian Brandy was brought down inside the area.

Toffees defender John Irving was shown a straight red card for his offence, but United failed to capitalise as first Ritchie Jones saw his spot-kick saved before Sean Evans blazed the rebound off target.

The winger did make amends for his glaring miss on the hour mark, however. Taking a pass from substitute Chris Fagan, Evans made space for himself just inside the box before arrowing a superb shot into the bottom far corner.
Evans came close to snatching victory for United with five minutes remaining, but Ruddy did well to brush another powerful shot just past the post and save a point for his side.

The result prevented United from posting a sixth successive victory but, on a night when they fought from two goals down and saw club captain Neville make a promising return to action, there was little to disappoint managers Brian McClair and Jim Ryan.

United: Zieler; Neville (Eckersley, 46), Chester, Cathcart (Cleverley, 46), Simpson (Drinkwater, 46); Gray, Hewson, Jones, S Evans; Brandy, Dong.
Subs not used: Heaton, Lea.

10/01/2008 10:17, Report by Steve Bartram

Evans relieved by equaliser

Reserves winger Sean Evans was delighted to score United's equaliser against Everton on Wednesday evening, not least because it attoned for his shocking first-half miss.
The 20-year-old somehow blazed off target from six yards after Ritchie Jones' penalty had been parried, but hit a stunning equaliser as United came from two goals down to notch a 2-2 draw.
Despite his elation at equalising, however, Evans was still disappointed that the Reds failed to complete the comeback and notch a memorable victory after going two goals down inside 17 minutes.
"I enjoyed the goal, I think I made up for the miss off the penalty," he told MUTV. "It was just a bit disappointing in the first 20 minutes, we let the game slip there.
"We got told off for that, as we should have done, but I think in the second half we played a lot better and still deserved to win the game really.
"When they went down to 10 men we didn’t expect to defend as much, but we didn’t create enough chances and didn’t take the ones we did create."

10/01/2008 07:00, Report by James Tuck

Park sets sights on Treble

Ji-sung Park is determined to make up for lost time by helping United achieve glory on all three fronts this season.
The energetic Korea midfielder made his first appearance after nearly nine months out with a knee injury in the 4-0 home win over Sunderland on Boxing Day.
With the second half of the season underway, United are well placed behind Arsenal at the top of the league and face a home tie against Tottenham or Reading in the fourth round of the FA Cup.
And the Reds will be confident of winning next month’s Champions League last-16 tie against French champions Olympique Lyonnais, who sneaked through their qualifying group after conceding 10 goals in six games.
The optimism around Old Trafford has convinced Park that the current crop of players can improve on last season’s title triumph by emulating the achievements of the 1999 Treble-winning squad.
“I want to win all of the titles,” the 26-year-old told MUTV.
“Last season we won the league but reached the semi-final of the Champions League and the final of the FA Cup. This season we have a better squad.
“Compared to last season, we have more players and the new signings have done very well so far. We have a lot of quality players.
“There are more matches this season, so we need a good enough squad – but I know we have it.”
Papers: City's Munich plea
10/01/2008 09:37

City want Munich respect
Manchester City have written to their fans to urge them to respect the 50th anniversary of the Munich Disaster when they take on United. City go to United on February 10, four days after the anniversary of the plane crash which claimed 23 lives, including eight United players and ex-City keeper Frank Swift. There are fears City fans may ruin the proposed minute's silence, so boss Sven Goran Eriksson and skipper Richard Dunne have helped pen a letter to encourage their supporters to behave. The letter reads: "Prior to this game, the 50th Anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster will be marked with a special commemoration. Many supporters will already be aware that City lost one of our own in the tragedy, goalkeeper Frank Swift. We ask all supporters uphold the good name of Manchester City and support the commemorations which will also be attended by friends and family of the victims including Frank Swift's family."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror
Meanwhile, Gary Neville scored a rare goal on his United comeback last night and buried some of the misery of the last 10 months. The England right-back even scored with his left foot as he chipped home a pass from Sam Hewson for the reserves against Everton, his first appearance in his latest attempt to get fit.
Round up by Gemma Thompson
09/01/2008 10:32, Report by Steve Bartram

Ronny: Rooney is vital

Cristiano Ronaldo feels United's hopes of silverware will be massively aided by the return to form and fitness of Wayne Rooney.
The England striker, who has missed 10 games through illness or injury this season, made a match-winning return to action at Aston Villa last weekend - a display which bodes well for the Reds, according to Ronaldo.
"Everyone knows Wayne is a good player," he said. "He does not have to do anything to prove that. He came on against Villa and did very well.
"He looked sharp and good - that can only benefit us. We have a strong season ahead of us, so it is important Wayne is ready along with all the other players as well."
With Rooney back in the fold and United well placed in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, Ronaldo is intent on topping last season's league title triumph.
"I believe we can do better this year," he said. "We have a good squad, with a fantastic group of players. We have a good chance of winning all the competitions, so why not think about doing that?"

10/01/2008 10:48, Report by Steve Bartram

Big Sam leaves Magpies

Nigel Pearson will take temporary charge of Newcastle for Saturday's visit to Old Trafford.
The former Magpies assistant manager has stepped up after Sam Allardyce's short reign at St James' Park came to an abrupt end on Wednesday evening.
Allardyce last just eight months at the Newcastle helm, with poor recent results prompting the Magpies to seek a change of management.
"I'm disappointed but I wish them all the best for the future," he said on Wednesday evening. "It was a shock, I didn't expect it."
返回列表