Board logo

標題: Chelsea's Scolari: I have passed my away test [打印本頁]

作者: cchl8    時間: 2008-8-26 08:38 PM     標題: Chelsea's Scolari: I have passed my away test

WIGAN: Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari claimed he had survived his first test on the road after watching his side defeat Wigan Athletic 1-0 to go top of the Premier League at the JJB Stadium on Sunday.
A brilliant free-kick goal by Deco, his second in as many games since joining from Barcelona for £8mil, saved Chelsea’s blushes after an unconvincing display against one of the top flight’s lightweights.
It was a world away from the spectacular 4-0 romp over Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge seven days earlier.
Yet victory was enough to send Chelsea, who were pipped for the title by Manchester United last season, to the top, five points ahead of Sir Alex Ferguson’s reigning champions, who are away at Portsmouth later yesterday.
Scolari admitted he was a relieved man after Czech Republic keeper Petr Cech was forced to produce a string of fine saves to deny Wigan.
The Chelsea manager said: “We didn’t play well because we didn’t pressure Wigan.
“This is my first test away from Stamford Bridge.
“What I expected I saw out on the field. In England you never say first versus last is easy.”
Wigan, already denied the services of Austrian defender Paul Scharner to injury, were dealt a severe blow before the match had started when keeper Chris Kirkland was injured in the pre-match warm up.
That paved the way for second-choice stopper Mike Pollitt to make his first Premier League start since conceding two goals against Arsenal nine months ago.
Yet the 36-year-old’s first touch was to fish the ball from the back of his net after Deco’s magnificently executed set-piece.
Scolari was full of praise for the Brazilian-born Portuguese international.
He added: “Deco is an intelligent boy.
“Why is he one of the best in the world? Because he is very clever. It was a very good goal.”
Scolari refused to talk about the departure of Andriy Shevchenko back to AC Milan or speculation that out-of-favour Shaun Wright Phillips could join Everton before the transfer deadline.
He said: “Tomorrow is the start of a new week and when I return to London I will discuss who stays and who goes.
“We have started with two wins but we are very early into the season.
“If it was the last two games of the season then it would be different.”

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://5.39.217.76/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0