Board logo

標題: BENITEZ: THIS IS THE BEST YET [打印本頁]

作者: cchl8    時間: 2008-8-10 12:41 PM     標題: BENITEZ: THIS IS THE BEST YET

[tr][td=2,1,487]BENITEZ: THIS IS THE BEST YET

[/td][/tr][tr][td=1,1,130] [/td][td=1,1,357]Rafael Benitez believes he has got the best squad at his disposal since he arrived at the club in 2004. [/td][/tr][tr][td=2,1,487]The manager had an incredible first year at the helm when he guided Liverpool to Champions League glory in Istanbul, and he followed that with an FA Cup win the following campaign.

Since then Benitez has taken his squad to new heights with the signings of Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano and Robbie Keane.

With the Barclays Premier League opener against Sunderland looming on the horizon next Saturday, Benitez said the Reds will go into the campaign stronger than ever.

"I am confident about my squad, and I am happy that we have the best squad since I arrived at Anfield," said Benitez. "But the key is not to say we will win the title, because the Premier League is now the best - and most difficult - in Europe.

"The standard has gone up so much since I arrived here. Back then, there were good players in the league, but Spain, Italy and Germany all signed some of the best players in the world.

"Now, everybody wants to come here, and that quality is amazing. Just look at the Champions League. Three of the last four were from England, and Arsenal played really well in the competition too.

"That will not be easy, but it makes for an incredible league. We have improved and progressed every year since I arrived, but look at the history of the league.

"We got 82 points which was a record for Liverpool, and that has allowed us only to finish third. The standard has risen massively, and we have had to work to keep up."

While Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal remain fierce rivals, Benitez said he has no fears about them and insists his team can challenge them for the major honours.

"They are the best in Europe," said Benitez. "They can spend £20 million on players just for the bench. But my belief is unshakeable that we can compete with them.

"We are not the richest club, and we have had a lot of work to do, but I have kept my desire and my confidence that it is possible to win.

"When I arrived maybe I didn't realise exactly how big a job it would be, but once inside you learn little by little the things about your club that nobody knows.

"It has been slower than we like because the others are so strong, but last season was the best squad we have had, and this year could be better.

"The squad we had at the start did not have a very high value, and this squad is the equal in value of the other top teams. We have been spending big, but selling big, and the net is less than the other big clubs.

"They were spending to add to very strong squads already, where we have created a totally new squad.

"There are only three or four players now from when we arrived, but they are very, very good players, and we have a very, very good squad. Maybe our European success hasn't helped us, because it made people believe we were ready to challenge for the league when we were not.

"Now though, we are in the position we always wanted to be. You can say it's the starting point in a way, but we have the benefit of learning from the mistakes of recent seasons, and we are at another level now."
The Reds boss said he would love to win a major trophy for the supporters this season to repay them for their fantastic support.

"The fans are amazing too, and I feel a responsibility to them, because they give so much. It would be nice to give them something back," said Rafa. [/td][/tr]

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://5.39.217.76/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0