Board logo

標題: Capello lauds 'courageous' Terry [打印本頁]

作者: nikotina    時間: 2008-5-26 07:04 PM     標題: Capello lauds 'courageous' Terry

Fabio Capello has praised John Terry for his courage amidst reports that he will be handed the England captaincy for Wednesday’s game against the United States for a much-needed morale boost.
Terry was distraught last week after his penalty miss in Moscow denied Chelsea a first Champions League trophy and after leaving the pitch in tears, issued a public apology to fans and team-mates in which he revealed he had only slept ‘for a few hours’ since the galling slip.
Having captained his country under previous manager Steve McClaren, Terry has seen Steven Gerrard and Rio Ferdinand handed the armband in Capello’s first two games in charge as the Italian looks to rotate the captaincy before making a permanent appointment in time for the World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign.
It has now been reported that Capello will take pity on Terry and appoint him to lead England out at Wembley on Wednesday, and the former Real Madrid coach was certainly impressed with the way the player accepted the pressure of taking the crucial fifth penalty.
"It takes courage to take a penalty in those circumstances and once you have the courage to take a penalty then of course you can make a mistake,” said Capello in the Daily Mirror. “That's the lottery of penalties.
“There's nothing dramatic with that, but John Terry is a courageous man."
It may remain to be seen who will be made full-time captain but Capello is making no secret of his ambitious plans for England, claiming his target is to lead the country to the final of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
The Italian told The FA’s official website: “I think I can take England further than Bobby Robson in 1990, why not? I have always worked to arrive at the top, why should I think differently?
“I have been with Roma, Juventus, Milan, Real Madrid and always wanted to go to the very top. I don’t understand why people feel differently. We need to be ambitious.
“We have good material here and have been competitive against every team. My ambition is to arrive at the top. You have to work to change the mentality.
“I believe we can do that but the players must also believe. By September I will have the full picture.”

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://5.39.217.76/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0