返回列表 回復 發帖

STEVIE'S SCHOOL DAYS

STEVIE'S SCHOOL DAYS
Joe Curran 18 November 2008
In a revealing insight into how Steven Gerrard went from a being a waif-like youth player to the influential captain of today, we hear from his former teachers and coaches about how he showed potential from an early age.

Take a look at the photographs below. On first glance they probably appear much like any other team line-up shots. Young lads still developing into grown men; potential yet to be realised.

But take a closer look (click on the images for a bigger version) and you'll see a star in the making - our very own Steven Gerrard, before the trophies, the captain's armband and the England caps.

Most people's earliest memories of Gerrard begin on November 14 1998, when he came on as a late substitute against Blackburn Rovers to make his Reds debut.

He won over the Anfield crowd with a meaty tackle near the Kop end towards the end of the 2-0 victory that day, but we've delved even further back to a time when our future captain was worrying more about the wrath of his teachers than that of Rafael Benitez.

/

"The thing I remember most about him was his ability as a leader on the field," said Gerrard's former teacher at Huyton and Roby Primary, Gillian Morgan, who also coached the future Liverpool captain in the school football team.

"I think he started playing for the school team when he was nine years old and even then Steven was always trying to help others.

"His dad always said he was born with a football at his feet and I still think that is true.

"Off the field he was very quiet and well behaved. I have met him a few times and appeared on his DVD, [url=http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/gerrard/]Steven Gerrard[/url]: My Story'.

"It was really nice when he came back to the school as part of that DVD - he even asked me about members of my family and I was surprised he remembered them from all those years ago."

When he was 11 years old Gerrard moved to Cardinal Heenan High School, where he began his ascent through into the Liverpool schoolboys ranks.

As his year head and coach of the school team, Steve Monoghan saw Stevie go from a slight school player to a star of the Liverpool schoolboys side and reveals how his refusal to admit when a game is lost began at a very early age.

"Anyone could see Steve was a talented player, but he was never one to flaunt his talent. He knew he had ability, but he never showed off," said Monoghan.

"Many youngsters with his talent would stop trying at lessons, but Stevie didn't and finished school with five GCSEs at grades A-C.

"But he was head and shoulders above the rest of the players in his school team.

"I remember one game where we were losing 3-0 to Blue Coat in the Merseyside Under-13 Cup final. We ended up coming back to win 4-3 with Stevie scoring two of the goals.

"I thought back to that match at half-time when we were losing by the same scoreline in the 2005 Champions League final. He inspired a similar fightback that day too and has done it a few times since then."

Echo sports writer Tim Johnson coached Gerrard while he was playing for the Liverpool Schools team and said: "I first became aware of Steven Gerrard in 1992 when the head of PE Eric Chadwick at his then school Cardinal Heenan High told me of a gifted 12-year-old footballer they had.

"I was to be the manager of the Liverpool Schools Under-14 team (pictured above) when Steven reached that age and I remembered the name and looked forward to having him as a member of the squad.

"But his talent could not be held back and the school nominated him for the city team 12 months earlier than expected.

"The most impressive feature of Steven's play at the time was his speed of thought.

"He could evaluate a situation and take advantage quicker than any schools footballer I had seen.

"The young Gerrard was also a very good tackler. Even when playing against bigger boys he had the courage to put his foot in and he obviously retains that today."

After that Gerrard continued his development and quickly joined up with the Under-15s schoolboy side.

Johnson also went on to coach that team, but admits that Gerrard went through a frustrating season that year.

"At first things went well for him and I can remember him scoring the winning goal against West Lancs in one of the earlier rounds of the English Trophy," added Johnson.

"But a series of injuries meant he failed to win an England Schoolboy Cap, the only level at which he has not received international recognition."

And despite being pursued by a host of Premier League clubs at the time, Steven signed for Liverpool shortly after the schoolboys team were knocked out of the Cup at the quarter-final stage.

"I have met him occasionally since those early days and he always has time to chat," said Johnson.

"It would have been impossible to forecast back then how far he would go in the game - I am delighted for him."

在这部分专题中,我们将看到史蒂文-杰拉德是如何从一位流浪儿般的年轻球员成长为今天利物浦极具影响力的队长的。我们将会听到他以前的老师以及教练们谈谈他早年所展现出来的天分。   看看下面这张照片。第一眼瞥去,他们看上去像是任何另外一支球队的首发照片。小伙子们正在成长,他们的天分还没有显露出来。   但是仔细看,你将会看到一位青涩的球星——我们的史蒂文-杰拉德,他将会获得无数奖杯、将会戴上队长袖标并且将会代表英格兰出战。   大部分人对于杰拉德最早的印象是在1998年11月14日,他在对阵布莱克本的比赛中替补出场,完成了他为红军的首秀。   他在靠近KOP看台一侧用一次凶狠的铲断获得了安菲尔德满场的掌声,那场比赛最终以红军2比0取胜而结束,但是我们将会追溯这位未来的队长更远的回忆,那时候他对老师们的害怕远远高过如今对贝尼特斯的敬畏。 “我能记住关于他的就是他在球场上有领袖气质,”杰拉德的前老师摩根(Gillian Morgan)说,他也在学校的足球队里当过这位未来利物浦队长的教练。   “我想他大概在9岁的时候就已经在学校的球队踢球了,即便是在那时候,史蒂文就开始帮助队友了。”   “他爸爸常说他就是为足球而生的,对此,我也深信不疑。”   “在球场之外,他非常安静,表现得也很乖。我见过他几次,并在他的DVD‘我的故事’里边露了下脸。”   “作为他DVD内容的一部分,他能回到学校拍摄一组镜头真是太棒了。他甚至询问我家人的情况,这么多年过去了,我非常吃惊他还记得我的家人。”   他11岁的时候去了Cardinal Heenan高中,从那时起,他开始进入了利物浦学生队的排名。   作为他校队的教练,Steve Monoghan看着杰拉德共一个默默无闻的小球员成为利物浦学生队的球星,他透露说,在他小时候他已经非常无法接受任何一场失利了。   “人人都能看出来杰拉德是一个极有天赋的球员,但是他从来不炫耀他的天分。他知道自己有能力,但是他不会得意洋洋。”Monoghan说。   “很多有才华的小球员会停止学习,但是史蒂文没有,他已5门GCSE获得A到C的成绩完成了学业。”   “他成为了整个校队的领袖。”   “我记得有一场比赛我们在默西塞德U13杯赛的决赛中3比0落后于蓝队。最终我们4比3逆转取胜,杰拉德独中两元。”   “那场比赛的半场比分,让我想到了2005年欧冠决赛。在他的鼓舞下,利物浦发起了几乎跟那天一模一样的反击,在下半场仅仅开始几分钟就收获了成效。”    当杰拉德在利物浦学校踢球的时候,利物浦回声报作者蒂姆-约翰逊当过他的教练,他说:“我第一次注意杰拉德是在1992年,当时Cardinal Heenan高中的Eric Chadwick告诉我,他们有一个非常有天赋的12岁的小球员。”   “我当时正要就任利物浦学校U14的主教练,当杰拉德满足年龄条件的时候,我就想起他,并去请他加盟我的球队。”   “但是他的天才并没有被埋没,学校提前12个月将他列为城市队的候选人之一。”   “那个时候杰拉德在球场上最令人印象深刻的能力是他的思考速度。”   “他可以根据场上形势,以比我见过任何同龄小球员都快的速度作出选择。”   “小时候的杰拉德也是一个非常好的拦截手。就算是对阵比他大的对手,他也有勇气伸脚去铲球,显然他现在也还是这样。”   从那之后,杰拉德继续着他的成长,很快成为校队U15的成员。   约翰逊也继续执教那支球队,但不得不承认的是,那一年杰拉德度过了一个非常沮丧的赛季。   “一开始他非常顺利,我清楚的记得他在对阵西兰斯的比赛中打进了制胜球。”约翰逊说。   “但是一系列的伤病让他没有办法代表英格兰学生队出场,这也是他在国家队层面唯一错过的一支队伍。”   当学生队在四分之一决赛中被淘汰之后,杰拉德被英超很多俱乐部追逐,但是马上就被利物浦签下。   “在他刚加盟利物浦的时候我时不时的会遇到他,他总是很乐意跟我聊天。”约翰逊说。   “当时是没有办法预计到他会取得这么大的成就——我为他而感到高兴!”

評分次數

• steve86

是呀 , gerrard真的很利害
我初看利物浦時 , 是他剛出道的時候 , 初時我並不太喜歡他 , 因他總是因為狠狠的欄截而被紅牌趕離場 , 幸好 , 利物浦當時沒有放棄他 ^^
返回列表