返回列表 回復 發帖

Premier League - What the managers said

All the reaction from a sizzling Sunday in the Premier League, which saw Liverpool go top with victory against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool
Luiz Felipe Scolari: "We did not expect the result. But we need to understand that Liverpool have a very good team. They didn't play better than us but they took their chance. In the first half we dominated the game and in the second we had more possession of the ball and passed it well until we got near their penalty area."
Rafa Benitez: "They were unbeaten for a long time so it was a massive game and a big boost for the rest of the season. We have shown we have character, now we must start preparing for Portsmouth because we need to get three points if we are to keep this mentality."
Tottenham 2-0 Bolton
Harry Redknapp: "There is real quality in this group of players here. You look through and there are international players. You look at the quality and they shouldn't be where they are, but two points in eight games is an amazingly bad start. We have to start working as hard as we did today for each other, picking up points, playing as we did - they passed the ball with real quality which I was really impressed with."
Gary Megson: "I think we gifted the game to Tottenham. In the first 15 minutes we looked solid and they didn't create anything, but the goal altered the way the game was going. It was a remarkably poor goal from our point of view; we didn't put any pressure on the ball and were neither defending nor playing offside."
Manchester City 3-0 Stoke
Mark Hughes: "I thought we were excellent, and not only in the attacking sense because defensively we were rock solid. We were prepared to stand up to the battle that Stoke will always give you. When we got the ball back we broke with real purpose and could have won by an even bigger margin."
Tony Pulis: "We were desperately disappointed to go in at half-time 1-0 down. I thought we created really good opportunities. We could have scored three or four goals and what killed us was their second goal just after half-time, which caught us cold."
Wigan 0-4 Aston Villa
Steve Bruce: "We haven't done our jobs defensively. That has been our strength because in the games that we've lost we have lost by the odd goal. Three of the four that we conceded today were so poor defensively and the mistakes were not acceptable at this level. If you do that against a really good Aston Villa side then you have your backsides kicked and we certainly had that today."
Martin O'Neill: "It was a great performance and a result I had not expected. With us having played on Thursday night, it was a concern, but there were some terrific performances all told. I was worried about today's game so for us to win today in the manner that we did was great. We have competition for places which is something that two years ago at Villa we didn't have so that's encouraging."
West Ham 0-2 Arsenal
Gianfranco Zola: I know it might look crazy, but I am not worried at all, because we are going to get through this. It would be easy for me to have a go at them, but the players' commitment is fantastic and their attitude is perfect. They were doing everything I asked them to on the pitch, so I can have no complaints. We are just not getting the results and are not playing bad.
Arsene Wenger: "It was a big win for us today. To come out of it with a frustrating 0-0 would have felt like a wasted opportunity to get closer to the top. We knew before the game we could not drop points today. "West Ham can also feel frustrated because they defended well and gave everything today. Green always has the game of his life against us, it is unbelievable and he repeats that every year."
Portsmouth 1-1 Fulham
Joe Jordan: "It was bad luck that we didn't win the game. We were the better team for the majority of the game and we should have wrapped up the game before their equaliser. On reflection we should have won the game. We had several opportunities in general play and we created enough chances to win this game comfortably."
Roy Hodgson: "Portsmouth are a good team with big, strong defenders, hard-working midfielders and dangerous strikers. So this is a good result. We have a lot of spirit and it is important that we keep that spirit because this team will get stronger. I can never accuse my team of lacking effort and we need to pick up as many points so that we can move up the table."
返回列表